The new versions of Apple Watches have the ability to work underwater at a depth of up to 50 feet without developing hiccups. But does that make for a waterproof Apple Watch? Read this article to find out.
In case you possess an Apple Watch 2, 3, 4, or 5, be rest assured that you can take your watch as deep as about 50 feet underwater and you won’t have any damage.
In truth, these models of Apple Watch are water-resistant, as they can withstand immersion in water for a particular period of time. But they are not waterproof.
If we are to dig further on the subject of Apple watch being waterproof or not, we can tell you that the original Apple Watch and Series 1 have a water resistance rating of IPX7 under IEC standard 60529. IEC means International Electrotechnical Commission. The Apple Watch Series 2, 3, 4, and the latest Series 5 model all have a water resistance rating of up to 50 meters of depth under ISO standard 22810:2010.
In practical terms, you can wear your Apple Watch while exercising, which will be exposed to sweat, or while going for a swim. But you cannot wear your Apple Watch while scuba diving or while water skiing. In fact, the Apple company adds that “water resistance isn’t a permanent condition and may diminish over time.” Apple Watch also cannot be ‘rechecked’ or ‘re-sealed’ for water resistance.
MORE: Apple has listed a number of activities that can affect water resistance properties on your Apple Watch. It’s best you avoid these activities;
- Subjecting your Apple Watch to other impacts.
- Wearing your Apple Watch in a sauna or steam room.
- Exposing your Apple Watch to soap, perfume, solvents, detergent, acids (or acidic foods), insect repellent, hair dye, sunscreen, oil, or lotions.
We recommend iPhone 11 and all its variants. Check out the amazing features of the iPhone 11 camera features first.
How Do I Clean My Apple Watch?
Cleaning your Apple Watch is best when you want to maintain the quality of your Apple product. That’s not all, you can also consistently clean your Apple Watch to avoid skin irritation.
Apple has provided some steps to use;
- First, turn off your Apple Watch. Then, remove your watch from its charger if it is connected.
- If your Apple Watch has got a band that is not water-resistant, remove it.
- For this step, wipe your Apple Watch clean with a lint-free cloth, one that’s moist with fresh water.
You can alternatively hold your Apple Watch under a lightly running tap of warm freshwater for about 10 to 15 seconds.
Note: Do NOT use soap or any other cleaning product to clean your Apple Watch.
- Ensure you dry the front, back, and the sides of your Apple Watch with a non-abrasive, lint-free cloth.
How Do I Activate Apple watch water Lock?
The Water Lock feature is made available on the Apple Watch 2, 3, 4, and 5 Series.
The Water Lock’s function is to lock (as implied) an Apple Watch’s screen. It is done this way to avoid accidental taps during swimming and other water-based activities. It cleans out your Apple Watch’s speakers once you are done, that is if you wish to submerge your Watch.
There are two ways by which you can activate this lock feature.
- The first way to activating this feature is to start a swimming workout.
The Pool Swim and the Open Water Swim workouts will automatically activate the Water Lock feature. All you have to do is to simply;
- Open the Workout app.
- Hit Pool Swim or hit Open Water swim to begin.
The second way to activate the Water Lock feature can be done manually. You can simply;
- Swipe up on the Watch face and
- Then hit the Water Droplet icon.
- Once you activate the Water Lock feature, a blue water droplet icon will appear exactly in the center of the Watch face.
If you wish to deactivate the Water Lock icon, you can also try these steps;
When you are done with your swimming workout,
- Tap the Digital Crown and side button simultaneously – at the same time. By doing this, it will pause the workout.
- Next, turn the Digital Crown to unlock the screen
- Then, swipe right and press the X. This is done to end the workout.
And if you have manually activated the Water Lock, you can just turn the Digital Crown until a blue teardrop fills the circular icon.
When it is unlocked, your Apple Watch will then make a series of sounds. The sounds are meant to clear water from the Watch’s speakers. Do note that it is absolutely normal for you to feel as though the water is being ejected from your speakers.
You can let us know about your thoughts about the Apple Watch is waterproof or water-resistant For more information on Apple products click here.