Biocatalysis and Biocatalysts: Introduction
- Biocatalysis is defined as a chemical process through which enzymes and other biological catalysts conduct reaction between organic components. Advancements in the biocatalysis technique have increased the utility and penetration of biocatalysts in several application areas. Widely used application areas of biocatalysts encompass biopharmaceuticals, agriculture, textile, biofuels, and other life science applications. Over the years, the applicability of biocatalysts in biofuels has been one of the major growth drivers of the market. The value chain of the biocatalysis and biocatalysts industry begins with raw material suppliers of chemicals, fermentation medium, and bioreactors for enzyme production. The next level of value chain comprises enzyme manufacturers and finally end-users who utilize these enzymes for end product development. Additionally, contract research organizations and contract manufacturers are also a vital component of the value chain. Major sources of these enzymes are either microorganisms or plant and animal cells. Some of the widely used biocatalysts in this market include lyases, isomerases, hydrolases, transferases, and oxidoreductases. For instance, hydrolases such as amylases and proteases are utilized in starch processing and the biofuel industry for saccharification and starch liquefaction.
Request Brochure @
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Biocatalysis and Biocatalysts Market
- The biocatalysis and biocatalysts market has developed significantly in the recent years. This can be primarily ascribed to the high performance and increasing recognition of biocatalyst globally. Biocatalysis and biocatalysts play an important role in addressing several issues associated with the chemical synthesis processes. Rise in usage of biocatalysis and biocatalysts in food & beverages, biofuels, and pharmaceuticals sectors is expected to propel the biocatalysis and biocatalysts market during the forecast period.
REQUEST FOR COVID19 IMPACT ANALYSIS –
- Rise in number of research activities in biofuels and biopharmaceuticals with respect to biocatalyst is expected to positively impact the market in next few years. Integration of renewable feedstock with microorganisms and chemistry is also estimated to boost the demand and penetration of these products in the near future.
Biocatalysis and Biocatalysts: Product Type Segment
- In terms of product type, the global biocatalysis and biocatalysts market can be segmented into lyases, isomerases, hydrolases, transferases, oxidoreductases, and others
Buy Now :
- The lyases segment is expected to account for significant share of the global biocatalysis and biocatalysts market during the forecast period. It is anticipated to be followed by the isomerases segment.
- The hydrolases segment is likely to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period, due to the increase in utilization of hydrolases in starch processing and the biofuel industry for saccharification and starch liquefaction
Biocatalysis and Biocatalysts: Application Segment
- In terms of application, the global biocatalysis and biocatalysts market can be segregated into food & beverages, cleaning agents, agriculture & feed, biofuel production, biopharmaceuticals, and others
- The food & beverages segment is estimated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period. It is projected to be followed by cleaning agents segment.
- The agriculture & feed segment is likely to expand at a healthy CAGR during the forecast period, owing to the expansion of the global agriculture industry
COVID-19 Impact on Biocatalysis and Biocatalysts Market
- On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. Originating in China, the virus has spread to at least 213 countries and territories around the world.
- Several governments and private sector businesses are operating at a limited capacity or have ceased operations completely due to recent events surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic
- Manufacture of various consumer goods and other products across the globe has come to a halt due to the unavailability of raw materials, shortage of labor, etc. This is expected to hamper the biocatalysis and biocatalysts market.
North America to Dominate Biocatalysis and Biocatalysts Market
- In terms of region, the global biocatalysis and biocatalysts market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America dominated the global biocatalysis and biocatalysts market in 2020. This trend is anticipated to continue during the forecast period owing to the increase in research and development activities regarding biocatalysis and biocatalysts in the region. The biocatalysis and biocatalysts market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Biocatalysis and Biocatalysts Market
The global biocatalysis and biocatalysts market was consolidated in 2020. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the global biocatalysis and biocatalysts market include:
- Koninklijke DSM N.V.
- Codexis, Inc.
- Chr. Hansen A/S
- Amano Enzyme Inc.
- Biosyntha Technology Ltd.
- Biocatalysts Ltd.
- Afton Chemical
- Piramal Group