Silicon Carbide Diodes Market: Introduction
- Silicon carbide diodes are the Schottky diodes which offer high switching performance, efficiency, power density, and low system costs. The diode also provides zero reverse recovery, low forward voltage drop, current stability, high surge voltage capability, and positive temperature coefficient.
- Silicon carbide diodes have various applications such as in photovoltaic solar inverters, electric vehicle chargers, power supplies, and automotive applications. These diodes have low leakage current and high doping as compared to silicon. Also, the direct characterization of silicon changes at high temperature.
- Further, the benefits of silicon carbide diodes includes improved system efficiency, low switching losses, low noise switching, high reliability with high increased power density, and low system cost.
Get Sample Copy:
Advantages of silicon carbide diodes over other diodes
- Silicon carbide diodes have low reverse recovery time and lowest forward voltage drop as compared to other diodes. It also has the advantage of low forward losses and negligible switching losses. These features make the diode ideal for power electronics applications.
- Apart from silicon carbide diodes, Gallium arsenide (GaAs) Schottky rectifiers are considered as next generation power components. However, Gallium arsenide has found limited acceptance due to high costs as compared to silicon.
- Another advantage of silicon carbide diode is temperature stability over a wide operating range. This allows parallel connection of multiple devices and also prevents thermal runaway. All these advantages are increasing the adoption of silicon carbide diodes across the globe.
Grab an exclusive PDF Brochure of this report:
Increasing demand for silicon carbide in electric vehicles creating opportunity
- In electric, hybrid, and fuel cell vehicles, efficiency, size, and cost plays a major role and hence silicon carbide devices are suitable. Silicon carbide also offers temperature stability and operating capability in high temperature which is suitable for electric vehicles.
- Moreover, silicon carbide eliminates the liquid cooling technology from vehicles. Hence, the acceptance of silicon carbide devices in these vehicles is creating high demand for silicon carbide diodes in the market.
High costs associated with silicon carbide diodes
- One of the main obstacles in the adoption of silicon carbide diodes is cost as it is five times costlier than silicon fast recovery diodes. In addition, silicon carbide is difficult to process compared to silicon. For instance, costly ion implementation is used for doping due to low diffusion rate. Also, reactive ion etching with fluorine based plasma is performed on silicon carbide diodes. This increases the cost and limits the device structures to be built.
Asia Pacific to lead the Global Market
- In terms of region, the silicon carbide diodes market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, South America, and Middle East & Africa
- The silicon carbide diodes market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to expand at the maximum CAGR during the forecast period.
- This growth is attributed to a wide range of applications in automobile, and other industries, adoption of silicon carbide diode over other devices due to its benefits, increasing investment in electric vehicles, and rising industrialization, among other factors. This is expected to increase the demand for silicon carbide diode products.
- The silicon carbide diodes market in North America and Europe is expected to show high growth rate due to presence of major players and focus of manufacturers on cost of production. The market in Middle East & Africa is likely to witness slow growth rate.
Request For Customization:
Key Players in the Global Market
The global silicon carbide diodes market was highly concentrated. Prominent players operating in the global market are focusing on product launch and technological developments to gain competitive advantage.
Key players operating in the global silicon carbide diodes market include:
- Infineon Technologies AG
- ON Semiconductor
- GeneSic Semiconductor
- Allegro MicroSystems, LLC
Global Silicon Carbide Diodes Market: Research Scope
Global Silicon Carbide Diodes Market, by Industry Vertical
- Energy and Utility
Global Silicon Carbide Diodes Market, by Application
- Solar Inverters
- Telecom Power Supplies
- Switch-mode Power Supplies
- Uninterruptible Power Supplies
- Industrial Motor Drives
- Electric Vehicle Charging Stations
Global Silicon Carbide Diodes Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- South America
- Rest of South America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
Read Our Latest Press Release:
Transparency Market Research is a next-generation market intelligence provider, offering fact-based solutions to business leaders, consultants, and strategy professionals.
Our reports are single-point solutions for businesses to grow, evolve, and mature. Our real-time data collection methods along with ability to track more than one million high growth niche products are aligned with your aims. The detailed and proprietary statistical models used by our analysts offer insights for making right decision in the shortest span of time. For organizations that require specific but comprehensive information we offer customized solutions through ad-hoc reports. These requests are delivered with the perfect combination of right sense of fact-oriented problem solving methodologies and leveraging existing data repositories.
Transparency Market Research State Tower,
90 State Street,
Albany NY – 12207
USA – Canada Toll Free: 866-552-3453
Email: [email protected]