Can Fruits Be Part Of Your Dogs Diet Fruits are a staple diet of the household. Whether it is a tasty snack for kids to eat while at school, or a treat after dinner, there is no denying their place in human diet. But what about your pet dog? Can they also enjoy the fruit you are eating?
Well it really depends on the type of fruit you are planning on feeding your dog. Some fruit offers your dog valuable nutrients, vitamins and antioxidants. Other fruit can be toxic to your dog if he ingests it. So how do you know what is safe and what is not? Well let me offer some helpful advise to what fruit your dog may have.
Fruit that your dog can have include:
- These crispy fresh fruit contains plenty of vitamins A and C and is a rich source of dietary fibre for your dog. Just stick to giving your dog the tasty bits and not the seeds.
- These sweet fruits that are self packaged (in skin) contain a great source of poatassium that it vital for your dogs hearts function and kidney function. Its best to eat these fruits in moderation as they are high in sugar which can lead to weight gain if given in large amounts.
- The perfect snack to provide hydration to your dog on a summers day. Dogs will benefit from eating watermelon as it provides an excellent source of Vitamin B, C and dietary fibre. Again as this fresh fruit is high in natural sugars, it can lead to obesity if given to dogs in large amounts.
- These berries may be tiny but they are packed with healthy antioxidants that have huge health benefits for not only humans, but also dogs. The antioxidants help the body repair any cell damage and can be protective against cancer.
- Pineapple is a great tropical fruit that provides valuable antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. Dogs can eat pineapple in small amounts. It will assist in providing your dog with a healthy immune system.
Now that we have introduced some healthy fruit that your dog can share with you, its time to look at fruit that you should not give your dog as it can be toxic to your dog.
A fruit that your dog should not eat are grapes. Grapes, even in small numbers are poisonous to your dog, The exact reason has not been poinpointed. If your dog eats grapes it can cause his kidneys to fail which is life threatening. The best thing to do in this case is to take him to the vet as soon as possible to get checked out. Because there are so many unpredictable things that can go wrong, including food poisoning, it’s always a good idea to stay covered with pet insurance. Take a look at Bivvy for good and affordable plans
Another fruit that you should think twice before giving is avocado. Avocado has a toxin called percin that can cause harm to your dog.
So as you can see, some fruit has valuable nutrients that can be shared with your dog in moderation. If you are unsure which fruit is healthy, it is always best to do some research before giving the fruit to your dog.
Can Fruits Be Part Of Your Dogs Diet