Compliance of UV-based Systems with IMO Regulations to Drive Market
In order to comply with the guidelines laid down by the IMO, companies in the ballast water treatment systems (BWTS) market are increasing R&D to innovate in UV systems. For instance, in May 2019, Purestream — a water service company, announced the launch of their advanced UV ballast water treatment system to offer operational advantages to vessel operators. This is evident, since UV irradiation is one of the key treatment methods in physical treatment.
In terms of treatment type, the physical treatment segment of the ballast water treatment systems market is projected for aggressive growth during the forecast period and is anticipated to reach a revenue of ~US$ 3.8 Bn by the end of 2027. Hence, companies are increasing the availability of UV-based systems to provide effective treatment options for vessel operators.
Companies in the ballast water treatment systems market are partnering with water disinfection solution companies to deploy maximum flexibility to ship owners, while owners can adhere to strict guidelines laid down by the IMO.
Request a sample to get extensive insights into the Ballast Water Treatment Systems Market
Companies Develop Eco-friendly and Cost-efficient Ballast Water Treatment Systems
The emergence of new low-cost and eco-friendly ballast water treatment systems is creating incremental opportunities for manufacturers. For instance, Flow Water Technologies Ltd. — a supplier of modular electro chlorination BWMS, announced the launch of FlowSafe — an offset carbon neutral ballast water management system that operates on zero costs.
Companies in the ballast water treatment systems market are developing cutting-edge equipment with compact design to suit space-constrained tankers or pump rooms. They are increasing efforts by consulting leading ship owners and operators to develop new designs of the novel system. Manufacturers in the ballast water treatment systems market are using the innovative technology to develop safe equipment.
With more than a decade of experience in manufacturing ballast water treatment systems, companies have gained expertise to develop filterless solutions sans the need for additional generators. Thus, cost-efficiency of these systems are gaining popularity in the global ballast water treatment systems market landscape. Owing to this trend, ship owners are increasingly relying on vendors that have a prominent expertise in water treatment solutions.
To understand how our report can bring difference to your business strategy, Ask for a brochure
Ultrasound Cleaning Systems Improve Efficiency of Different Vessels
As compared to UV-based systems, ultrasound cleaning is acquiring prominence in the ballast water treatment systems market. For instance, in September 2019, SKF — a Swedish automotive components maker, announced the launch of BlueSonic BWMS — a novel entry in ultrasound cleaning, to run extensive tests with Hapag Lloyd’s container vessel.
New ultrasound cleaning systems are being pervasively used at flow rates of up to 1,500m3 per hour, which proves its efficiency in different types of vessels. As such, 1,500-5,000m3 tank capacity segment of the ballast water treatment systems market is anticipated for exponential growth, and is estimated to reach a value of ~US$ 4.1 Bn by 2027.
Analysts of Transparency Market Research opine that greater environmental awareness among ship owners will catalyze the growth of ultrasound cleaning systems. Strict USCG requirements suggest that organisms must be completely destroyed before ballast water is discharged. Hence, manufacturers are increasing their production capabilities in ultrasound cleaning systems to help ship owners comply with IMO regulations.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on “Ballast Water Treatment Systems Market”
Delay in Implementation to Help Companies Develop Systems Based on IMO Guidelines
Issues, such as technical maturity of ballast water treatment systems and disputes during approval processes act as a barrier for companies. Moreover, high costs of streamlining production processes according to the set guidelines was discouraging companies to take appropriate steps toward product development. Hence, various governments and the International Chamber of Shipping (ICS) urged the IMO to delay the implementation dates so that companies could efficiently comply with the guidelines.
Delay in implementation dates helped companies in the U.S. ballast water treatment systems market to abide by the type approval testing, as per the USCG rules. Companies are increasing efficacy to gain approvals for their ballast water treatment systems by the DNV GL — an international accredited registrar that performs testing through USCG laboratories. Moreover, in August 2019, DNV GL received the USCG approval for the Ballast Water Detecting Lab of Shanghai Ocean University. This is anticipated to offer opportunities for companies operating in the China ballast water treatment systems market.
Ballast Water Treatment Systems Market: Overview
- According to Transparency Market Research’s latest market report on the global ballast water treatment systems market for the period 2019–2027 (wherein 2019 to 2027 is the forecasted period and 2018 is the base year), increasing international trade through seaways coupled with increasing adoption of standardized regulations that are globally accepted are some of the prime reasons for the growth of the ballast water treatment systems market
- In the report, revenue generated by the ballast water treatment systems market has been mentioned in terms of value (US$ Mn)
Increasing International Trade through Seaways: A Key Driver of Ballast Water Treatment Systems Market
- Increasing international trade through seaways is one of the prime reasons for the growth of the ballast water treatment systems market. Marine transport is crucial for the world’s economic growth as around 90% of global trade is carried out through the sea route. This transportation system is more cost-effective and convenient compared to others for the movement of mass goods and raw materials around the world. During the past few decades, marine trade is estimated to have quadrupled, owing to increasing industrialization and liberalization of several emerging countries, which have surged free trade and led to growing demand for consumer products. Demand for container vessels are anticipated to grow with rising demand for more goods. These factors are anticipated to create a favorable environment for the ballast water treatment systems market during the forecast period.
Adoption of IMO Guidelines for Control and Management of Ballast Water of Ships to Drive Market
- Implementation of standardized regulations- International Maritime Organization (IMO) guidelines worldwide is a key factor that is expected to augment the growth of the ballast water treatment systems market. Different countries have their own set of regulations to deal with issues pertaining to the prevention and elimination of invasive alien species in the marine environment. It is difficult for foreign manufacturers of ballast water treatment systems to trade with other countries as their product portfolios are in line with their own sets of standards and regulations. Hence, the United Nations is trying to implement standardized regulations (IMO) guidelines worldwide. This is further anticipated to proliferate the ballast water treatment systems market during the forecast period.
Preference for Mechanical and Chemical Treatment: A Key Restraining Factor
- Preference for mechanical and chemical treatments is one of the key factors restraining the growth of the ballast water treatment systems market. High cost of physical treatment systems and complexity in operation of these systems lead to the use of older mechanical filters and chemical treatments, which can create further complications such as an increase in toxicity of water and high maintenance cost. All these factors restrain the growth of the ballast water treatment systems market.
Multiple Regulations: Another Key Restraining Factor of Global Market
- Another major factor restraining the growth of the ballast water treatment systems market is the implementation of the BWM Convention in all countries due to different legislative requirements in different countries. Several regional regulations are not in line with the BWM Convention. For instance, the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG) has separate regulations for ballast water treatment. Under such circumstances, it becomes difficult for ships from other countries to operate in U.S. waters. This restrains the growth of the ballast water treatment systems market.
Increasing Trade Activities in Developing Economies of Asia Pacific and Africa: A Growth Opportunity for Global Market
- Increasing population, and growing industrialization and urbanization across several emerging countries are encouraging international trading activities. Favorable government policies and trade agreements are major supportive factors boosting trade. Demand for container vessels, small and medium sized cargo ships etc., are anticipated to increase during the forecast period with trade. This is further anticipated to fuel the demand for ballast water treatment systems.
High Focus on Physical Treatments: A Key Trend
- Several technologies are available in the ballast water treatment systems market. However, some of them are favored more, owing to their improved features such as operational cost, treatment efficiency, and ease of installation. The physical treatment system has shown significant growth in demand in the global market in recent years, due to its features such as environment-friendliness, cost-effectiveness, and effectiveness in treating invasive organisms.
Read TMR Research Methodology @:
Ballast Water Treatment Systems Market: Competition Landscape
- Detailed profiles of manufacturers in the ballast water treatment systems market have been provided in the report to evaluate their financials, key product offerings, recent developments, and strategies
Key players operating in the global ballast water treatment systems market include
- Wärtsilä Corporation,
- Damen Shipyards Group,
- ALFA LAVAL,
- atg Evoqua (Evoqua Water Technologies),
- GenSys GmbH, Evac,
- Coldharbour Marine Ltd.,
- GEA Group Aktiengesellschaft,
- ERMA FIRST ESK Engineering S.A.,
- Ferrate Treatment Technologies, LLC,
- Veolia Water Technologies,
- Hitachi, Auramarine Ltd., and
- Bawat a/s.
Ballast Water Treatment Systems Market: Key Developments
- In July 2019, Alfa Laval signed an agreement with Turkish Shipowners Ballast Water Treatment (BWT) Group for Alfa Laval PureBallast 3 systems valued at US$ 23.36 Mn
Other Key Developments in the Ballast Water Treatment Systems Market:
- In October 2019, Evoqua Water Technologies announced the acquisition of majority stake in San Diego-based Frontier Water Systems, LLC. for the expansion of its portfolio of advanced wastewater treatment technologies
- In November 2019, Bawat a/s, a Denmark-based company specializing in manufacturing mobile ballast water treatment systems, was granted the IMO Type Approval for its technology (pasteurization treatment system) used in the Bawat ballast water treatment system
Read Our Latest Press Release:
Transparency Market Research is a next-generation market intelligence provider, offering fact-based solutions to business leaders, consultants, and strategy professionals.
Our reports are single-point solutions for businesses to grow, evolve, and mature. Our real-time data collection methods along with ability to track more than one million high growth niche products are aligned with your aims. The detailed and proprietary statistical models used by our analysts offer insights for making right decision in the shortest span of time. For organizations that require specific but comprehensive information we offer customized solutions through ad-hoc reports. These requests are delivered with the perfect combination of right sense of fact-oriented problem solving methodologies and leveraging existing data repositories.
Transparency Market Research State Tower,
90 State Street,
Albany NY – 12207
USA – Canada Toll Free: 866-552-3453
Email: [email protected]