Wafer Back Grinding Tape for Surface Protection of Semiconductor Wafers
- The wafer back grinding is process of reducing wafer thickness for packaging of integrated circuits. Wafer back grinding tapes are applicable for surface protection of semiconductor wafers during back grinding process.
- These tapes help to hold packages during dicing process. Moreover, this can be easily removed from wafer without stress using irradiation technique. They are also used in wide area material, not only semiconductor wafer, but also sapphire, glass, ceramics, and others.
- The wafer back grinding tapes constitute of two-ply construction of adhesive layer and backing film. It offers various advantages including overall cost reduction, prevention of wafer from breakage, and wafer surface protection.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF Brochure
Key Drivers of Global Wafer Back Grinding Tape Market
- Demand for wafer back grinding tapes is expected to increase, owing to rise in need of semiconductor wafer fabrication for production of photonic and electrical circuits. These are expected to be key factors driving the global wafer back grinding tape market during the forecast period.
- Wafer fabrication helps in building components for various products such as smartphones, television amplifiers, optical computer components, and other electronic components. Moreover, increase in consumer electronics market indirectly drives the demand for wafer back grinding tape. This factor is expected to fuel the global Wafer back grinding tape market during the forecast period.
- Companies operating in the global wafer back grinding tape market are investing to expand their product portfolios and improve their distribution networks. They have adopted strategies such as mergers & acquisitions, development of new products, joint ventures, and expansions to cater to increase in demand for wafer back grinding tape in different regions. For instance, in April 2017, LINTEC Corporation, introduced the Back Grinding Tape Laminator “RAD-3520F/12”, to protect the circuit surface of the wafer during the back grinding.
Expanding operations in future? To get the perfect launch ask for a custom report
UV Wafer Back Grinding Tape Segment to Offer Attractive Opportunities
- The UV type segment of wafer back grinding tape market expected to grow at highest CAGR rate during forecast period
- The UV wafer back grinding tapes are used in a diverse range of materials. Moreover, these wafer back grinding tapes offer various advantages such as surface protection, easy de-taping, and strong adhesive strength.
- These factors are expected to increase the demand of the UV wafer back grinding tape during the forecast period.
Limited Usage for Emerging Applications Can Hinder Market Growth
- Wafer back grinding tapes are applicable in back grinding process for reducing wafers from their original thickness to a diminished thickness suitable for final packaging of die after dicing.
- However, the usage of back grinding tape is limited for the assembly of ultra-thin cheap. This is expected to restrain the usage of the wafer back grinding tapes.
Asia Pacific to Hold Major Share of Global Wafer Back Grinding Tape Market
- Asia Pacific is a leading consumer of wafer back grinding tape, followed by North America and Europe. China and India are key markets in the region. In terms of demand, the two countries account for major share of the wafer back grinding tape market in the region. Increase in demand for wafer back grinding tapes in Asia Pacific can be attributed to continued increase in industrialization and rise in need of the consumer electronics in the region.
- An increase in investments for the production of the various electronics components has been observed in developing countries of Asia Pacific region. This is expected to drive the demand of wafer back grinding tapes required for electronics assembly and semiconductor packaging.
Key Players Operating in Global Market
The global wafer back grinding tape market is highly concentrated with top manufacturers accounting for approximately 25%–35% of the market share. A few of the key players operating in the global wafer back grinding tape market are:
- FURUKAWA ELECTRIC CO., LTD.
- Sumitomo Bakelite Co., Ltd.
- Mitsui Chemicals America, Inc.
- Nitto Denko Corporation
- LINTEC Corporation
- Loadpoint Limited