Here’s a simple way to explain what colocation is: your equipment is hosted by a colocation service provider in a highly secure facility and monitored by a team of technical experts. Companies specializing in colocation provide security for the building and infrastructure, as well as the supply of electricity and cooling, fire protection and redundancy systems. Specialized equipment, like servers, requires special attention, and that’s exactly what server colocation companies provide.
Why choose colocation? Because the benefits are many.
Availability of the network at all times is essential. One of the most important things that colocation service providers make sure of is that your equipment is connected to the world at all times, without interruption. They conduct frequent interviews to ensure that everything is working well, and their structure guarantees no downtime.
One of the key elements to ensure network availability at all times is redundancy. Server Colocation and data centers offer N + 1 redundancy. This means that the number of devices (N) has at least one level of redundancy. For example, generators are in place in the event of a power failure.
Data centers consume a lot of energy, so it made sense to build them in places where green energy is affordable. For example, The Email Shop UK colocation facilities in Montreal are powered by hydroelectricity. This energy is both renewable and affordable. If your company promotes the use of renewable energy sources, it makes perfect sense that it wants to install its energy-consuming equipment in a location where green energy is the norm.
Of course, your current installations have a fire protection system. Of course. However, special fire protection is required for servers. Since they consume a lot of electricity, they are easily damaged by water.
Colocation centers employ active and passive measures for fire protection. Passive measures include the presence of very sensitive smoke detectors which detect the smoldering fire in the electrical components before the flames start. Also, firewalls divide the space to prevent the fire from spreading. Active measures include the presence of a sprinkler system or other systems to extinguish the fire.
When it comes to room temperature, servers and people are not the best office colleagues. Servers and other network equipment require a cold, controlled environment.
Colocation service providers monitor the temperature at various specific locations and ensure that there is sufficient air conditioning to keep the equipment in top condition. Of course, places like Canada are ideal for setting up data and colocation centers, since the cold climate does a lot of the air conditioning work.
Colocation service providers also monitor humidity levels. Data centers that are located in the wetlands will keep the temperature below the dew point to prevent condensation. In places with low humidity, a humidifier system will be installed to avoid any spark caused by static electricity.
Servers host the most sensitive and critical data of an enterprise, and their security must take this into account.
Colocation service providers offer a multi-layered approach to security. They can set up cameras and closed-circuit television (CCTV) systems, perform access control by biometric identification and provide cages to lock each tenant’s equipment. Besides, they have staff on site to reduce any possibility of breaches of site security.
Benefits of having server colocation services in The Email Shop
Power supply guarantee 10 MVA
- Electromagnetic compatibility: Transformation station Medium voltage / low voltage transformer station on site (5 transformers of 2,500 kVA, N + 1 redundancy), sufficient distance from accommodation and telecoms rooms (electrosmog)
- High low voltage current distribution Double electrical distribution network with transparent switching <10 Ms via load transfer modules (STS). Each rack is connected via the energy rails to 2 separate electrical panels (N + N redundancy).
- Uninterruptible power supply each branch of electrical distribution is protected by dynamic inverters with kinetic energy accumulation (5 No Break of 2,500 kVA, N + 1 redundancy). All cooling systems are supplied without interruption.
- Emergency power Each electrical distribution branch is protected by a diesel generator (5 groups of 2,500 kVA directly connected to dynamic inverters, N + 1 redundancy), each supplied with redundant fuel (2 main tanks + 5 daily tanks for a total of 160,000 litters stored on-site, corresponding to 80 hours of autonomy at full load, with additional supply program).
- Power available – accommodation rooms: between 1,500 W / m2 and 3,600 W / m2 depending on the room chosen (between 4,000 W and 12,000 W per rack on average, this power can be extended depending on the fitting out of accommodation space).
- Production 4 2,500 kW turbo groups (N + N redundancy), 2 free cooling exchangers using cold outside air
- Distribution Double chilled water distribution network (N + N redundancy)
- Air conditioning units 50 kW per unit for liquid cooling (N + N redundancy), 55 kW per unit for air cooling outside the accommodation rooms (N + 1 redundancy)
- Power supply all cold production and distribution systems, as well as air conditioning units, are supplied without interruption.
Physical security: access, fire, and water
- Perimeter fenced plot (min-height 3.5 m), patrols
- Building secure reception, single-pass airlock, biometric access control system with a history
- Audio/video monitoring indoor and outdoor surveillance with history
- Intrusion detection zone coverage, monitoring of access doors to the various containment levels, detection inside and outside the building
- Containment 5 levels
- Security staff 24/7 on-site presence
- Fire detection total fire detection throughout the building
- Fire protection – compartmentalization of
accommodation rooms, telecom rooms and technical rooms by firewalls and fire
- Automatic extinguishing system by water mist for accommodation rooms
- Specific fire extinguishers in all rooms and technical local
- Leak detection on all cooling networks
- Flood protection indoor and outdoor drainage and drainage systems, no pipes above the accommodation rooms
- Interconnection for operators 4 interconnection rooms on the plot
- Introductions (tube batteries) 4 separate introductions into the building
- Telecoms rooms 2 separate rooms in the building, each served by 2 introductions and 2 separate interior distributions
- An operational organization based on ISO20000 / ITIL approaches
- Supervision 24/7 on infrastructure and all installations
- Detailed procedures according to the operating manual
If your business has servers or network and storage equipment, it can be tempting to host it on your premises. However, offices are the first and foremost requirement designed to meet the needs of staff. Servers and other complex equipment require other more specialized and technical requirements. This is why colocation services are a wise choice.