Developments in Motion Positioning Stages Align with Requirements of Industry 4.0
Motion positioning stages are highly critical for efficient machinery movement. As the industrial sector continues to experience waves of innovations and new developments, progress in motion positioning stages has played an important role in revolutionizing modern-day manufacturing processes. In addition, owing to significant advancements in technology, key participants in the motion positioning stages market are expected to fulfil evolving requirements of the industrial sector, which include high precision and enhanced productivity. Modern-day industrial applications require faster and finer motion control enabled by advanced motion control technologies. The growing need for highly precise motion control stages in an array of applications, including laser cutting, industrial automation, biotechnology, and research, among others, is expected to create significant demand for motion positioning stages during the forecast period (2019-2027).
Get Sample Copy:
With the advent of Industry 4.0, the industrial sector is shifting gears and leaning toward automated systems. Industrial automation has gained fast-paced adoption in the past few years and the trend is set to continue in the coming years. In their bid to gain a competitive edge, stakeholders in the current motion positioning stages market are increasingly focused on the development of power/energy-efficient products. The tectonic shift toward industrial automation is likely to provide an array of opportunities for key operators in the global motion positioning stages market, which is expected to reach a value of ~US$ 989 Mn by the end of 2027.
Emphasis on Efficiency Expected to Increase Adoption in Multiple Applications
Due to technological developments, linear motors have evolved at a consistent pace in the past few decades, and offer greater accuracy and speed range. As linear motors continue to evolve, linear-motor applications are also evolving. With a growing focus on efficiency, at present, new applications of linear motors on axis have emerged, including automotive, material handlings, packaging, general automation, and off-highway, among others. Higher efficiency levels can be achieved with linear motors, owing to its direct-drive nature coupled with precise and faster strokes. Advanced linear motors with improved linear-motor designs integrated with new technologies are replacing other linear-motion alternatives.
As per the findings of the research conducted by Transparency Market Research, the demand for linear stage motion positioning stages is expected to remain higher than that of rotary stages and goniometer motion positioning stages during the assessment period. The growing demand for linear stage motion positioning stages for industrial automation is anticipated to drive the growth of this segment during the forecast period. In the current scenario, a host of industrial applications is increasingly reliant on precise, accurate, and fast movement of machines. In addition, linear stage motors also fulfil the low maintenance and highly dynamic requirements of modern-day factories. The motion positioning stages market is likely to be primarily driven by new technologies that will lead to improvements in production processes. Current trends indicate a steady shift toward faster, smarter, and downsized motion control and positioning equipment.
Grab an exclusive PDF Brochure of this report:
Laser Industry Leveraging Benefits of Advanced Motion Positioning Stages
The demand for ball screws and powerful servomotors has gained considerable pace, particularly in high-force applications. As ball screw rails can be easily lubricated by end users, the demand for the same is expected to witness significant growth during the forecast period. The adoption of motion position stages such as ball-screws is on the rise, as machine manufacturers in the laser industry are continually finding ways to improve resistance and tolerance to extremely hot particulates. In addition, for design engineers in the laser industry who regard ease of installation as a critical criterion, the adoption of new-generation linear stages is expected to witness substantial growth, particularly for seamless alignment and placement on the machine base. Stakeholders in the current motion positioning stages market are increasingly focused on the development of new linear stages that are suitable for industrial applications.
Motion Positioning Stages Market: Overview
- According to Transparency Market Research’s latest research report on the global motion positioning stages market for the historical period 2017, base year 2018, and the forecast period 2019–2027, industrial demand for accurate motion control solutions and rising degree of miniaturization in various fields of applications are likely to fuel the global motion positioning stages market during the forecast period
- In terms of revenue, the global motion positioning stages market is estimated to reach value of ~US$ 989 Mn by 2027, expanding at a CAGR of ~6% during the forecast period
Industry Demand for Accurate Motion Control Solutions: A Key Driver
- Over the past few years, a growing number of end-use industries are trying to push their product output and accuracies to unprecedented levels that was out of scope a few years ago. Manufacturers from various industry verticals such as medical, semiconductor, and optics, are engaged in development of customized products and solutions for their customers and are seeking competitive advantage in the market.
- Manufacturers of positioning stages are continuously upgrading their offerings with latest technology to fulfill needs of their customers. Furthermore, applications in advanced research, life sciences, and physics, among others are increasingly demanding small, high-precision motion components.
- For instance, the semiconductor industry faces challenges as products become smaller, more power efficient, and highly mobile. A growing need for tighter process measurement and control is mainly driven by ultra-thin layers, smaller critical dimensions, new materials, 3D structures, and the need for higher yield and productivity.
- Furthermore, in the medical industry, demand for products are highly sensitive in terms of product specifications, and the products need to meet the specific application requirement. The application of motion control solutions in the medical industry includes ionic prosthetics, transplanted mechanical valves, and air pumps for respiratory use.
- These growing needs from various industry verticals are met by advanced and accurate motion control solutions. Motion positioning stages are an integral part of motion control solutions. Thus, the growing need for accurate motion control solutions is expected to fuel the market growth of motion positioning stages in the coming years.
Request For Customization:
Rising Degree of Miniaturization in Various Fields of Applications: Latest Trend in Motion Positioning Stages Market
- Over the past few years, various end-use industries are increasingly embracing the concept of miniaturization in the design of their products. The manufacturing of materials on molecular or even atomic level is slowly gaining traction in the semiconductor industry. However, manufacturers face the challenge of delivering high quality products while maintaining their performance at small scales.
- For instance, the trend in the medical industry is to shift to miniaturization. Hence, demand for smaller yet more effective products which benefit the patient and medical professionals alike is set to increase. This can be attributed to the rising prevalence of invasive procedures and other technology driven advancements.
- For instance PI USA, based in North America is a manufacturer of precision motion systems, such as “compact and miniaturized positioning stages” that are crucial for the miniaturization process in most advanced stages in the development of research and industrial applications, for test & measurement, optical and opto-mechanical alignment, and component assembly
- Furthermore, many end-use industries are realizing the importance of efficiency, logistics, and material reductions in manufacturing of the product and hence miniaturization is expected to continue to be a paradigm shift in advanced manufacturing
- The manufacturing of products at nano scale is made possible with the help of high precision and advanced automation solutions, which includes the use of motion control solutions. Motion positioning systems, being an integral part of motion solutions are expected to witness healthy growth in the coming years, due to the growing degree of miniaturization.
Lack of Skilled Personnel and High Capital Investments a Major Challenge for Motion Positioning Stages Market
- While advancements in automation technologies is eliminating the need for repetitive work, it requires a skilled workforce for its optimal installation and maintenance. Additionally, skilled personnel is required for supporting data analytics and other automated processes associated with advanced automation technologies.
- Automation could be used in multiple processes in industries for enhanced performance. However, the installation of high scale automation devices, which includes motion control solutions entails the need for significant capital. This is not always feasible for small-scale companies, which have a prominent share in the market.
- The high cost of motion control solutions and the lack of skilled labor for optimal functioning of systems in motion control and automation processes might hamper the growth of the motion control market. This is expected to indirectly impact the motion positioning stages market, as it is a significant part of motion control systems.
- The lack of skilled workers and high capital investment needed is anticipated to have a medium impact on the global motion positioning stages market
Motion Positioning Stages Market: Competition Landscape
- Detailed profiles of providers of motion positioning stages have been provided in the report to evaluate their financials, key product offerings, recent developments, and strategies
- Key players operating in the motion positioning stages market are
- Aerotech Inc.
- Dover Motion
- Edmund Optics, Ltd.
- Misumi USA, Inc.
- Newport Corporation
- Optimal Engineering Systems Inc.
- OWIS GmbH
- Parker Hannifin Corp
- Physik Instrumente (PI) GmbH & Co. KG.
- STANDA Ltd.
- Thorlabs, Inc.
- OptoSigma Corporation
Read Our Latest Press Release: