Level Shifters Market: Helping Improve Compatibility of Devices Operating at Different Voltage Levels
Advances in semiconductor technology have played an essential part in the development of the consumer electronics sector, worldwide. Electronic and digital devices can function at different voltage levels. Typically, it is advisable to interconnect two devices that can operate on equal operating voltages. For instance, connecting a 5V microcontroller to a device that operates at 3.3V could cause damage to the circuit or the device. In certain cases, connecting devices operating with the same voltage levels may not guarantee desirable results – presenting the need for level shifters. A level shifter is a technique deployed to ensure that the two connected devices with different operational voltages are compatible.
Over the past decade, 1.8V, 3.3V, and 5V have emerged as the three most common voltage levels within transistor-transistor logic (TTL) devices. As these voltage levels have gained worldwide acceptance, it is imperative to able to shift from one voltage level to another, to ensure the integration of various systems. Level shifters are critical to ensure that the differing voltage between the receiving and sending signals does not lead to downtime. As per TMR analysis, the level shifters market is expected to generate revenue of ~US$ 1.4 billion in 2019.
Request a sample to get extensive insights into the Level Shifters Market
High Demand for Power-efficient Unidirectional Variants in Level Shifters Market
In the current scenario, some of the best known and common electronic platforms operate at 5V. However, there are times when the integration of a high-end sensor may be required that operates at a lower voltage (3.3V), thus, creating the need to use level shifters. The adoption of unidirectional level shifters is experiencing significant growth, as these require less amount of power and simultaneously ensure the desired sound insulation between the input and output. The adoption of input-protected unidirectional devices simplifies the process of high to low-level translation, and enhances the signal-to-noise margin. Further, unidirectional variants minimize the number of components in a circuit, which, in turn, reduces costs. Owing to these benefits, the unidirectional level shifters segment is forecast to generate ~US$ 1.1 billion in 2027, up from ~US$ 885 million in 2019, in the global level shifters market space.
Efficient and Swift Two-stage Shifters Gain Traction in Level Shifters Market
Within modern level shifter circuits and system on chips (SoCs), numerous voltage domains are present, which enable various domain voltages to be combined together. Level shifter circuits are integral components of such a SoCs, as they enable the accurate interpretation of low voltage signals to high voltage signals, and vice versa. At present, trends in the consumer and tech industry suggest that, there is a shift toward lower voltages to ensure power-efficiency. However, converting voltage that is below the threshold level to a VDD signal becomes a challenge in such situations. However, advances in the field have paved the way for the efficient conversion of low voltage. For instance, the two-stage infrastructure introduced by Wilson addresses the problems associated with slow conversions, and offers energy efficiency and swift conversion rates. Key participants operating in the level shifters market are expected to up their investments toward research & development activities to improve the efficiency of their products, so as to provide cost-effective and power-efficient solutions. Further, companies involved in the level shifters market are expected to focus on overcoming the shortcomings of conventional shifter circuit designs.
To understand how our report can bring difference to your business strategy, Ask for a brochure
Soaring Demand for Cell Phones to Present Host of Opportunities
Recent advancements in the cell phone sector have compelled players operating in the current level shifters market to adapt to the evolving technologies, and provide compatible solutions. Further, cell phone manufacturers are enhancing their production capabilities by leaning toward state-of-the-art technologies, by updating the microcontrollers using I/O pins that require level shifters in conjunction with general-purpose input/output (GPIO) expanders.
Further, the demand for level shifters to attain energy-efficiency in battery-constraint devices such as cellphones is expected to witness significant growth during the forecast period (2019-2027). The cell phones segment accounted for just over 40% of the total revenue share in the level shifters market in 2018, and by the end of 2027, it is projected to account for around 42% of the total share in terms of value. In addition, in the past few years, power consumption within handheld devices has been a major parameter – a factor that has boosted the demand for level shifters within the cell phone sector.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on Level Shifters Market
Global Level Shifters Market: Overview
- According to Transparency Market Research’s latest research report on the global Level shifters market for the historical period of 2017–2018 and forecast period of 2019–2027, increasing demand for smartphones along with the growing requirement for achieving high-frequency targets with lower power consumption for systems is likely to boost the global level shifters market during the forecast period.
- In terms of revenue, the global level shifters market is estimated to reach a value of US$ 1.8 Bn by 2027, expanding at a CAGR of ~3% throughout the forecast period.
Growing Requirement for Achieving High-frequency Targets with Lower Power Consumption: A Key Driver
- A level shifter is also called a logic level shifter or voltage level translator. It is a circuit that is used to translate signals from one logic level to another, thereby facilitating the compatibility between ICs with different voltage requirements.
- Power-efficient systems often contain sub-systems with different ranges of voltage requirements. With the help of level shifters, all systems as well as sub-systems from different voltage domains can be made to work together, smoothly and efficiently.
- The demand for achieving high-frequency targets with lower power consumption has been increasing over the last few years. This is a key factor driving the global level shifters market. Moreover, as more features are being integrated into modern system-on-chips (SoCs), the total number of logic gates used is also increasing. This is because logic gates form the basis of decision making for electronic devices.
- Furthermore, high throughput of the system necessitates operating the system at higher frequencies. This leads to increase in the overall power consumed by the system, as well as significant increase in the die size.
- In order to cater to the need for low power consumption and establish communication between two voltage levels, level shifters are used. Thus, the growing requirement for low power consumption while achieving high frequency targets is expected to fuel the global market for level shifters during the forecast period.
Service Providers Forming Strategic Alliances in Global Level Shifters Market
- Level shifters are gaining prominence for use in various applications such as cellphones, wearable devices, and electronic appliances. This is because level shifters enable the smooth and efficient operations of various sub-systems working at different voltage domains (for example, 3.4 V – 5 V). Key players operating in the global level shifters market are engaged in finding solutions to address the complexities associated with level shifters and associated devices.
- The global level shifters market is fairly fragmented, owing to the presence of several established providers in the market. Moreover, the rising prominence of level shifters in specific applications has prompted major players to develop cost-effective solutions and establish their position as key providers of level shifters in the market.
- Thus, leading players operating in the global level shifters market are engaging in various R&D activities in order to develop innovative solutions and serve their customers in a better manner, and gain a strong foothold in the global level shifters market.
New Product Development: Latest Trend among Key Players in Level Shifters Market
- Key players operating in the global level shifters market are engaged in the development of advanced level shifters and their introduction in the market.
- For instance, in December 2018, Diodes Incorporated, a prominent provider of level shifters, developed a high-speed bidirectional 8-channel level shifter for use in inter-IC communications. This product supports a wide range of PC or consumer interfaces, including GPIO (general-purpose input/output), MDIOPM bus (management data input/output power management bus), I2C (inter-integrated circuit), and SPI (serial peripheral interface). Furthermore, the applications targeted for this product include PCs, servers, networking, telecom, and consumer electronics. This move is anticipated to help the company gain a strong foothold in the global level shifters market in the near future.
Global Level Shifters Market: Competition Landscape
- Detailed profiles of providers of level shifters have been mentioned in the report to evaluate their financials, key product offerings, recent developments, and strategies.
- Key players operating in the global level shifters market are
- Texas Instruments
- NXP semiconductors
- Analog Devices, Inc.
- Diodes Incorporated
- Microchip Technology Inc.
- Toshiba Corporation
- Lattice Semiconductors.
Global Level Shifters Market: Key Developments
Key providers of level shifters, such as Texas Instruments Incorporated, are engaged in the development of innovative level shifter products.
- For instance, in February 2018, Texas Instruments Incorporated, a prominent provider of level shifters, introduced TPS65197/B, which is a new series of level shifters. This new product is an 8-channel level shifter with discharge function intended for use in LCD (liquid crystal display) applications such as notebooks, monitors, and TVs.
In the report on the global level shifters market, we have discussed individual strategies, followed by company profiles of providers of level shifters. The ‘Competition Landscape’ section has been included in the report to provide readers with a dashboard view and market share analysis of key players operating in the global level shifters market.
Read Our Latest Press Release:
Transparency Market Research is a next-generation market intelligence provider, offering fact-based solutions to business leaders, consultants, and strategy professionals.
Our reports are single-point solutions for businesses to grow, evolve, and mature. Our real-time data collection methods along with ability to track more than one million high growth niche products are aligned with your aims. The detailed and proprietary statistical models used by our analysts offer insights for making right decision in the shortest span of time. For organizations that require specific but comprehensive information we offer customized solutions through ad-hoc reports. These requests are delivered with the perfect combination of right sense of fact-oriented problem solving methodologies and leveraging existing data repositories.
Transparency Market Research State Tower,
90 State Street,
Albany NY – 12207
USA – Canada Toll Free: 866-552-3453
Email: [email protected]