Most of the time, the odor of the scalp is related to the excessive secretion of sebum or oil by the sebaceous glands present in our scalp, together with excessive sweating. Such a condition often causes dirty and dead skin cells to accumulate on the scalp, and produce a strange odor. The presence of excess sebum on the scalp also creates a favorable environment for the growth of bacteria and other microorganisms, which develop in the scalp oil. The result is overgrowth or build-up of microorganisms around the hair follicles and scalp odor.
The bad smell of the scalp can have several causes, but it will always be a nuisance. Some people may even resort to isolation because they do not know how to deal with the situation. Therefore, it is necessary that you identify Why Does My Hair Smell before starting any treatment.
What are the main causes?
Unfortunately, men and women can be affected by this problem. At first, it is associated with poor hygiene. However, there are several factors that can cause odors on the scalp, such as:
- greasy hair;
- excessive sweating;
- exposure to certain chemicals;
- intense exposure to environmental contamination;
- hormonal imbalances;
- Finally, bacterial or fungal infections.
How to deal with the bad smell of the scalp?
Next, find out five homemade recipes that can solve this problem. However, remember that, even with these options, it is recommended that you go to a dermatologist to administer the most appropriate treatment for your case.
Its main benefit is to neutralize odors and reduce excess fat from the scalp. To be able to use it, follow these steps:
- mix one part of baking soda in three parts of water;
- rinse hair with water and apply this paste on it;
- Let it act for five minutes and then wash it well.
To achieve a satisfactory result, repeat this process weekly.
With lemon juice, your hair not only acquires a fresh and clean aroma, but it is also free of dandruff and seborrhea. To administer it:
- dilute the squeezed juice of two lemons in a glass of water;
- Wash your hair and apply lemon juice over it, leaving it to act for 5 minutes.
It is recommended that you repeat this operation three times a week.
If your scalp suffers from excess chemicals, this is a great option. In addition, apple cider vinegar also restores its normal pH, restoring shine to the hair. To use it:
- add half a cup of apple cider vinegar to two cups of distilled water;
- incorporate into the mixture three drops of lavender, rose or other essential oil of your taste;
- Then, spray the solution on your hair and let it act for 10 minutes. Finally, rinse with cold water.
This product is able to reduce itching and bad smell. To achieve these goals, apply olive oil all over your scalp and massage gently before washing your hair.
This plant can be used in the treatment of hair loss, dandruff and the bad smell of the scalp. For this, once a week:
- apply fresh aloe gel to your hair after you have shampooed it well;
- Let it act for 15 minutes and rinse.
One tip is to add a spoonful of lemon juice and half a spoonful of aloe vera gel to your shampoo for washing.