- Autonomous ships have the ability to independently control their own actions while transporting goods from one port to another. They contain next generation modular control systems and communication technology that are expected to enable wireless monitoring and control functions both on- and off-board.
- Demand for autonomous ships is rising in the marine sector primarily for economic and environmental reasons
- Most companies are focused on the development on full-size autonomous ships with the goal of obtaining cargo vessels or even passenger vessel capabilities
- In 2017, YARA AND KONGSBERG entered into a partnership to build the world’s first fully-autonomous and zero-emissions ships for commercial operations
Key Drivers of Global Autonomous Ships Market
- Demand for autonomous ships has been increasing owing to a rise in automation, increase in tourism activities, and growth in per capita income. Furthermore, steady rise in seaborne trade and recreational activities around the globe is anticipated to propel the demand for autonomous ships globally.
- Moreover, rising demand to promote safe and efficient operations in the maritime sector is also likely to boost the demand for autonomous ships in the near future
For Right Perspective & Competitive Insights on Autonomous Ships Market, Request for a Sample
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
- Governments of various countries have enforced nationwide lockdowns, as a precautionary measure to curb the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic. This has disrupted planned autonomous ships projects, globally. The pandemic has disrupted the supply of new equipment and skilled labor in the market. Moreover, the contract period for the manufacturing of ships has also increased significantly.
- On October 07, 2020, Kongsberg signed a contract with China Merchants Jinling Shipyard (Weihai) to deliver a propulsion and maneuvering system for two 230m roll-on, roll-off passenger (RoPax) vessels for Finnlines. Currently, under construction at Weihai and expected to be delivered for deployment in the Baltic Sea by 2023, the ships would each have capacity for 1,212 passengers and are specified with a focus on sustainable technologies and green operation.
Europe to Hold Major Share of Global Autonomous Ships Market
- Based on region, the global autonomous ships market can be segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Europe dominated the global autonomous ships market in 2019. The market in the region is estimated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period. The region has largest operational fleet size and is investing on the development of autonomous ships. Companies based in Europe are investing in sustainable operations in the marine industry. Demand for yachts and cruiser powerboats is also high in the region. This, in turn, is likely to boost the demand for autonomous ships in the region.
- North America held a vital share of the market in 2019 owing to the large fleet size and increase in seaborne trade in the region. Rise in tourism and recreational activities is estimated to boost the demand for autonomous ships during the forecast period.
- Asia Pacific held a moderate share of the global autonomous ships market in 2019. The market in the region is expected to expand at a healthy pace during the forecast period. Furthermore, investments in sea tourism industry in Asia Pacific are increasing at a rapid pace. Additionally, South Korea has launched a project to develop maritime autonomous surface ships (MASS) by 2025. The aim is to build vessels with the third-level of autonomy, as defined by the IMO.
- Middle East & Africa and Latin America held relatively minor share of the autonomous ships market in 2019. The market in these regions is estimated to expand at a sluggish pace during the forecast period.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF Brochure of this report
Key Players in Market
Leading players operating in the global autonomous ships market include:
- Honeywell International Inc.
- Hyundai Heavy Industries Co., Ltd.
- General Electric
- Marine Technologies, LLC
- Praxis Automation Technology B.V.
- Northrop Grumman.
- DNV GL
- Vigor Industrial LLC.
- Samsung Heavy Industries Co., Ltd
Global Autonomous Ships Market: Research Scope
Global Autonomous Ships Market, by Autonomy
- Fully Autonomous
- Remote Operations
- Partial Automation
Global Autonomous Ships Market, by Ship Type
- Bulk Carriers
- Gas Tankers
- Passenger & Cruises
- Dry Cargo
Global Autonomous Ships Market, by Installation
Global Autonomous Ships Market, by Propulsion
- Fully Electric
Global Autonomous Ships Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Read Our Latest Press Release:
Transparency Market Research is a next-generation market intelligence provider, offering fact-based solutions to business leaders, consultants, and strategy professionals.
Our reports are single-point solutions for businesses to grow, evolve, and mature. Our real-time data collection methods along with ability to track more than one million high growth niche products are aligned with your aims. The detailed and proprietary statistical models used by our analysts offer insights for making right decision in the shortest span of time. For organizations that require specific but comprehensive information we offer customized solutions through ad-hoc reports. These requests are delivered with the perfect combination of right sense of fact-oriented problem solving methodologies and leveraging existing data repositories.
Transparency Market Research State Tower,
90 State Street,
Albany NY – 12207
USA – Canada Toll Free: 866-552-3453
Email: [email protected]