ANPR Systems Face Heat in U.K. for Privacy Violations during COVID-19 Lockdown
Drones and automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) systems have been extensively used during major COVID-19 (coronavirus) lockdown periods in Europe. After the World Health Organization (WHO) stated that COVID-19 situation is serious in Europe, companies in the automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) market are capitalizing on the demand for these surveillance systems. ANPR systems have played a crucial role to recognize suspects that have been violating lockdown norms. However, these surveillance systems and contact tracing apps have been facing the heat regarding human rights concerns over privacy of citizens.
The Liberty human rights group in the U.K. has suggested to deploy voluntary compliance with lockdown restrictions instead of ramping up coercive and oppressive tactics. As such, police authorities are increasing efforts to normalize the idea of surveillance and concerning techniques to ensure public health safety. These factors are likely to drive the automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) market.
Get Sample Copy:
Electronic Bills with Help of ANPR Systems Minimize Traffic Violation
ANPR systems are improving security and law enforcement measures in modern cities. Companies in the automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) market are increasing their production capabilities, as these systems are being extensively used in urban cities to identify criminals and terrorists. On the other hand, over-speeding on highways is another threat to public safety, which is being addressed by traffic control authorities. Modern ANPR systems are eliminating the need to manually record number plates of individuals.
The trend of e-challan is becoming popular in Indian cities. Manufacturers in the India automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) market are increasing the availability of surveillance products at toll gates so that toll authorities can send a bill to the car associate for non-compliance of rules. Companies are innovating in products that offer both still and video footage of car associates.
Poor Installation and Recognition Software Key Shortcomings of ANPR Systems
The automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) market is expected to expand at a favorable CAGR of ~9% during the forecast period. However, common shortcomings of ANPR systems such as failing to detect vehicles travelling over 30mph are likely to inhibit market growth. Hence, manufacturers are increasing their R&D capabilities to develop systems with advanced recognition software. For instance, Vaxtor Recognition Technologies Ltd. is increasing its marketing capabilities to publicize its product RoadPixel, which addresses common drawbacks of conventional ANPR systems.
In order to gain global recognition, companies in the automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) market are developing systems with an extended lifespan. These advanced systems are eliminating issues of poor on-site traffic management. As such, ANPR systems are in high demand to control unauthorized parking of vehicles. Poor installation planning and incorrect cabling can also hinder efficient functioning of ANPR systems.
Grab an exclusive PDF Brochure of this report:
High Demand for DPS-certified ANPR Systems in UAE Government Organizations
ANPR systems are becoming increasingly commonplace in parking management applications. SSK Technologies— a telecommunications service provider specializing in security and surveillance is gaining increased recognition for its services in the UAE automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) market. Product manufacturers in the UAE are increasing efforts to develop software and systems that are DPS (Dubai Protective System)-certified. Companies are setting their collaboration wheels in motion to collaborate with European manufacturers in order to develop robust ANPR software and systems.
Companies in the automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) market are increasing their R&D muscle to develop software that reads and documents license plates without the need for a human operator. Such software are witnessing a high demand in government organizations and private businesses. The trend of real-time ANPR is being highly publicized for ensuring the safety and efficiency of companies.
Request For Customization:
Next-gen Artificial & Cognitive Intelligence Technologies Transforming ANPR Industry
Manufacturers in the India automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) market are focusing on meeting the demands for automated check-post management solutions. Likewise, the patented Safepro Optisense ANPR automated check-post management system aligns with the government’s Make in India movement in order to deploy vehicle tracking and vehicle profile identification. The periodical vehicle count at check posts has become increasingly important for maintaining the safety of several manufacturing facilities.
The ANPR industry is witnessing a significant transformation due to the proliferation of automation. Access control of unauthorized vehicles helps to safeguard manufacturing facilities against malicious activities of criminals. On the other hand, manufacturers in the automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) market are innovating in ANPR-integrated parking ticketing systems. This is being made possible with the help of artificial and cognitive intelligence technologies.
ANPR Cameras with IR-Lamps and Fast Shutter Deploy Unlimited Registration of Vehicle Plates
Apart from government and commercial institutions, companies in the automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) market are exploring value-grab opportunities at waste sites, educational, and logistics organizations. The U.S. technology company Clearview AI is acquiring global recognition for its GateREG ANPR system for high-speed multi-lane reading with the help of a single camera. The detection of vehicle color and type has become very important in at business enterprises.
Manufacturers in the automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) market are developing high-performance ANPR cameras. Such ANPR systems are being widely adopted in the public sector and blue chip companies to monitor authorized and unauthorized visitors. The automatic logging of vehicle numbers into the system’s database is being highly preferred by company owners. Companies are innovating in ANPR cameras with variable intensity infrared (IR)-lamps and fast shutter to deploy unlimited registration of vehicle plates.
As COVID-19 cases are surging in India, the Hyderabad traffic police are using the ANPR system to nab citizens that violate lockdown restrictions. The automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) market is expected to reach a revenue of US$ 5 Bn by the end of 2030. However, the cost associated with frequent maintenance and support of ANPR systems is likely to hinder the sales of the product. Hence, companies should guarantee systems with minimum five years of lifespan to boost sales of their product.
High-speed multi-lane reading of vehicles is being highly preferred by individuals owning commercial businesses. Thus, companies are developing software that generate vehicle alerts via text messages and emails.
Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) Market: Overview
- The global automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) market is expected to expand at a CAGR of ~9% during the forecast period, primarily driven by increasing adoption of ANPR systems for traffic enforcement and management, and rising demand for superior security in the public sector
- The automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) market is projected to be cross value of US$ 2.1 Bn in 2020 and reach US$ 5 Bn by 2030
- In terms of component, the hardware segment is anticipated to account for a notable share as compared to other components of the automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) market
- In terms of end user, the government segment is set to dominate the automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) market during the forecast period, whereas the commercial segment is likely to be the fastest growing segment during the forecast period
- Europe remains a prominent market for automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) globally, and the market in the region is expected to be valued at US$ 755.8 Mn by the end of 2020
Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) Market Definition
- The automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) market report provides analysis of the market for the period 2018 – 2030, wherein 2019 is the base year, 2020 is the estimated year, and 2020 to 2030 is the forecast period. Data for 2018 has been included as historical information.
- In this report, we analyze the growth drivers that enhance the value of the automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) market and various opportunities prevailing in the market
- Providers of automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) are focused on developing innovative solutions to serve specific requirements of end users, which is anticipated to drive the market in the upcoming years
Europe Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) Market Snapshot
- Key countries that significantly contribute to the growth of the automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) market in Europe are the U.K., Germany, France, Italy, and others. Germany witnesses increasing emphasis on tracking systems within the transportation sector, thus driving the automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) market in the country.
Key Drivers of Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) Market
- Rising use of ANPR systems for barrier-free parking: Globally, the number of vehicles on roads has continued to increase. Around the world, commercial, passenger, and light vehicles are rolling off the lot at a fast pace, which, in turn, leads to rise in traffic problems. Thus, demand exists for smart traffic management and security solutions. Cities with large number of vehicles are becoming congested and they are investing in smart traffic management solutions such as barrier-free parking facilities, and hence ANPR systems. The demand for automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) systems has seen significant demand to eliminate issues related to ticket payments and security in parking garages. Use of the ANPR technology for vehicle number plate scanning, while entering and exiting a facility, offers real-time monitoring and parking management solutions to customers and parking lot operators.
Bottlenecks at the entry and exit of a parking facility are an annoyance for customers, where vehicle lines can hold-up and lead to significant wait times to enter and exit. Halt time of vehicles to collect a ticket during arrival would be reduced with ANPR implementation, by allowing the driver to drive the vehicle directly into a parking premise.
- Rising demand for better security in public sector: Automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) solutions are majorly being used by security agencies & police departments to ensure public safety worldwide. Automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) solutions are used by security agencies and police departments for major applications, including gathering intelligence, namely, identification of vehicles and crime investigation. Fixed or portable ANPR cameras are used to capture vehicle images, along with license plates and to further connect them to location and time of a crime.
Key Restraints of Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) Market
- Increasing intrusion on privacy of population: Increased usage of ANPR systems has increased the chances of disclosure of personal data to government agencies. ANPR systems record data such as movement of vehicles at a particular time and location, and captures images of passengers in the front seat of a vehicle and stores them for a considerable length of time. This increases privacy concerns among people, restraining the growth of the automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) market.
- Information collected is pooled to the regional sharing systems and thus, a huge database of motorists is being maintained and retained for a long time. The Boston Police Department halted the use of ANPR license plate readers, owing to the unavailability of a reliable mechanism for the protection of collected information. Police departments can also track public movement based on the GPS location of the commuter. However, courts have understood the rights of a driver to be free from warrantless GPS tracking.
Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) Market: Competition Landscape
- In May 2020, Q-Free ASA developed vehicle analytics solutions for its automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) portfolio to recognize vehicle color, class, model, etc.
- In October 2019, Genetec Inc. introduced next generation mobile automatic license plate recognition solutions integrated with Intel’s Vision processing unit technology
Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) Market: Company Profile Snapshot
- Q-Free ASA: The company was founded in 1984 and offers products, mainly related to electronic toll collection for congestion charging, road financing, truck-tolling, and parking/access control. Q-Free develops intelligent solutions for effective, safe, and environment-friendly transportation based on advanced technology and open platforms.
- Siemens AG: Siemens AG is a technology company, which provides solutions in the field of electrification, automation, and digitalization. The company primarily operates through eight segments that include wind power & renewables, power & gas, building technologies, energy management, mobility, process industries & drives, digital factory, and healthineers. The mobility segment combines freight & passenger transportation, including rail automation systems, rail vehicles, rail electrification systems, IT solutions, road traffic technology, and related services.
- Genetec Inc.: Genetec Inc. was founded in 1997. It offers the AutoVu™ automatic license plate recognition (ALPR) system, which is ideal for a variety of applications, including law enforcement, and for municipal and commercial organizations. The company offers IP video surveillance, and access control and automatic number plate recognition solutions unified in a single platform, called Security Center. It also produces and provides security equipment (Synergis Master Controller).
- Tattile s.r.l.: Tattile s.r.l. was founded in 1988. It designs as well as manufactures wide-ranging solutions for machine vision applications such as digital cameras, smart cameras, and vision controllers. The company operates under three divisions: industrial division, traffic division, and railways division. The traffic division develops smart cams for number plate reading road traffic control and automatic number plate recognition solutions used in innovative intelligent transport systems (ITS) for tracking, tolling, enforcement, and access control applications.
Read Our Latest Press Release:
Transparency Market Research is a next-generation market intelligence provider, offering fact-based solutions to business leaders, consultants, and strategy professionals.
Our reports are single-point solutions for businesses to grow, evolve, and mature. Our real-time data collection methods along with ability to track more than one million high growth niche products are aligned with your aims. The detailed and proprietary statistical models used by our analysts offer insights for making right decision in the shortest span of time. For organizations that require specific but comprehensive information we offer customized solutions through ad-hoc reports. These requests are delivered with the perfect combination of right sense of fact-oriented problem solving methodologies and leveraging existing data repositories.
Transparency Market Research State Tower,
90 State Street,
Albany NY – 12207
USA – Canada Toll Free: 866-552-3453