Fixing up your home doesn’t have to be a back-breaking job. While there are plenty of ways to improve your home that require a lot of time and effort (leave those to the professionals), there are also a ton of fun DIY projects that aren’t too taxing!
Minimal tools, time, and physical work will be required for these improvements, but they’re going to leave your house looking totally transformed. Read on for four easy home improvement projects anyone can do!
#1 Replace Knobs
An easy way to spruce up your home is by replacing the hardware. Many homes come with doorknobs and kitchen cabinet handles that look as though they haven’t been updated in years.
Find matching hardware that reflects the aesthetic you want and replace the old knobs on your doors and cabinets. You’ll be shocked at how such a simple detail can bring your interior to life!
To that end, cabinet handles tend to be an easier fix—simply loosen the screws inside the cabinet to remove and replace the old ones. Doorknobs, on the other hand, can be a little more complicated:
- Unscrew the old doorknob – First, you’ll need to loosen the screws holding up the old doorknob. These can typically be found on either side of the handle part of the doorknob.
- Replace the latch plate – The latch plate is the metal surrounding the bolt on the edge of the door. You’ll need to unscrew this and remove the old one and replace it with the matching latch plate from the new hardware kit (unless you strip the screw, you can use the same one).
- Install the new doorknob – Your new door handle will have a spindle attached to the end of it. Slide this spindle through the new latch plate, where the old doorknob came from, and secure it on the other side.
#2 Update Your Shower Head
A proper shower head can be a game changer for your daily routine. If your house currently has a shower that’s a bit outdated, an easy home improvement project is swapping the old shower head for something modern.
Replacing a shower head can be done in a few simple steps:
- Figure out where the shower head meets the pipe, you don’t want to be attempting to twist off the entire thing.
- Use a wrench to twist off the old shower head, counterclockwise.
- Replace with the new shower head and twist back on.
Home Improvement Tip: When you take off the old shower head, the pipe may have some built up residue that can weaken water pressure. Be sure to remove and clean it before replacing the head.
#3 Make Some Art
Nothing is more personal than hand-crafted art. Add a stylish flair to your home by creating your own decor to hang on the walls, place on a table, or arrange in the garden.
Here are some nifty ideas for easy DIY art projects:
- Tape Painting – Create your own modern art by placing painter’s tape on a canvas. This will form dynamic shapes that you can fill with different colors. The best part about this project is you don’t have to worry about being messy—once you remove the tape, you’re left with crisp, perfect lines.
- Silicone Molds – Silicone mold making is a fantastic option if you’re looking for something unique. Simply choose a mold you like from a craft store and pour liquid silicone into it. Let it dry for a full day and when you return, you’ll have a beautifully molded piece of art.
- Make a Collage – Print out photos, cut out newspaper clippings, and add patterned fabric to create your own personal wall art. Lay these out how you want them, grab the glue, and pop it in a frame!
#4 Use PVC Wallpaper
The days of messy, hard-to-remove wallpaper have come and gone.
PVC wallpaper is an easy way to beautify a room’s aesthetic without damaging the walls. Simply remove the backing on the strips and carefully smooth them out onto the wall. PVC wallpaper provides a glossy, beautiful texture that’s going to look far more expensive and time consuming than it actually is.
Home Improvement Tip: Don’t like the look of your countertops? PVC wallpaper can be used to fix that, too! Grab a roll that has a marble, granite, or tile pattern on it and instantly transform your kitchen or bathroom.
Give Your Home a Makeover
Don’t be afraid of a little DIY action. Use these easy home improvement tips for a quick way to make your space infinitely more you.
Grab a screwdriver, some paint, and maybe even a silicone mold, and get to work! With a little effort and some creativity, there are tons of improvements you can make.