Digital Shipyard Market: Introduction
- Shipbuilding companies are focusing on the automation process over the last few years. The automation process helps save upon time taken for ship building. Various companies are taking initiatives to implement digitization in shipbuilding. This has led to rise in investments in modernization of facilities to increase productivity and reduce budgets, man power, as well as timelines.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Digital Shipyard Market
- Significant increase in industrialization and globalization has boosted the demand for sea trade. Sea is a highly effective and low cost mode of transportation. There are more than 53,000 merchant ships, around 11,000 bulk carriers, and 7,400 units of crude oil tankers in the world. The number of container ships in the world stood at about 5,000 units in 2019. These numbers are likely to rise in the near future due to increase in sea trade and tourism. Growth in demand for ships is anticipated to propel the digital shipyard market during the forecast period.
- Rise in environmental concerns across the globe to lower the carbon footprint generated in the shipping industry is expected to be one of the key factors driving the digital shipyard market. Governments and international regulatory authorities across the globe are implementing regulations to lower the emission of carbon, Sox, and NOx in the shipping industry. Release of emission can be controlled through integration of digitization in shipping yards, as this allows shipbuilders to operate at maximum efficiency through connected technologies.
- High initial cost is a major factor hampering the digital shipyard market. Software and hardware used in the shipbuilding industry is highly sophisticated with advance technologies. Thus, its cost is higher. Therefore, companies are reluctant to implement it.
Global Digital Shipyard Market Segmentation
- The global digital shipyard market can be segmented based on shipyard type, capacity, and technology
- In terms of shipyard type, the digital shipyard market can be bifurcated into commercial and military. The commercial segment is anticipated to expand significantly during the forecast period, led by an increase in sea tourism since the last few years. This, in turn, is anticipated to boost the demand for commercials vessels. Thus, companies are estimated to invest significantly in commercial shipyards in the near future.
- In terms of capacity, the digital shipyard market can be divided into large, medium, and small. In terms of volume, the medium segment is expected to expand at a faster pace in the near future. Ships in the medium segment include cruises, naval ships, ferries, and passenger ships.
- Based on technology, the market can be classified into Internet of Things, block chain, robotics & automation, augmented reality/virtual reality, additive manufacturing, digital twin technology, and others. Currently, shipyard companies are focusing on the robotics & automation and Internet of Things segments. These segments are anticipated to expand at a higher CAGR during the forecast period.
Global Digital Shipyard Market: Regional Segmentation
- Based on region, the global digital shipyard market can be split into North America, Asia Pacific, Europe, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- Asia Pacific dominated the global digital shipyard market in 2018. The market in the region is expected to expand at a significant pace during the forecast period, as modernization and advancement in shipping industry is more in countries such as China, India and Japan. Governments of these countries are also upgrading and promoting the development of shipyards. Thus, the digital shipyard market in Asia Pacific is expected to expand at a high CARG during the forecast period.
- North America is projected to account for vital share of the global digital shipyard market in the near future. The U.S. is a major country in terms of automation and digitization. It has the necessary infrastructure and economical support. This is likely to boost the market in North America in the near future.
- The market in Europe is projected to expand at a significant CAGR during the forecast period. On the other hand, the market in Latin America and Middle East & Africa is anticipated to expand at a sluggish pace during the forecast period.
More Trending Reports
- Rapid transmission of coronavirus is significantly impacting the global shipping market, due to the sudden decline in demand for goods. Pre-planned trips and cruises are getting cancelled. Shipping orders are also being cancelled. This has adversely affected large crude tankers and large bulk carriers. Furthermore, containerized shipping has declined, thus slowing down economic activities all over the world. Surge in COVID-19 cases in Europe, North America, and other regions has significantly hampered investment and project timelines in development of digital shipyard. Thus, the COVID-19 outbreak is estimated to restrain the digital shipyard market over the next two years.
Request Covid19 analysis on this market
Key Players Operating in Market:
- Dassault Systèmes
- AVEVA Group plc
- thyssenkrupp Marine Systems GmbH
- Pemamek Oy
- IFS AB
- Inmarsat Global Limited
- Altair Engineering, Inc
- Hexagon AB
- BAE Systems