Synthetic Spider Silk: Introduction
- Spider silk is also known as gossamer. It is a sought after biomaterial. Spider silk is a protein fiber made in the glands of a spider. This silk is flexible and lightweight. These fibers are waterproof and have tensile strength similar to that of steel. These fibers can be stretched up to 40% of their original length without breaking. Scientists across the globe have been trying to mimic the properties of spider silk into synthetic silk fibers, as spiders cannot be farmed; they are territorial and cannibalistic in close proximity. Over the last few years, scientists have developed multiple ways to synthesize the properties of spider silk using genetically modifying Escherichia coli bacteria, plants, silkworms, yeasts, and even goats. Some of these methods are not scalable to the commercial production; however, methods such as fermentation of yeast are being used by companies, such as Bolt Thread, for commercial production of synthetic silk fibers. These fibers are used in applications such as textiles, defense, and health care.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Global Synthetic Spider Silk Market
- The synthetic spider silk market has developed significantly of late. This can be primarily ascribed to the rise in demand for synthetic spider silk in defense applications and their extensive usage in health care applications. This is prompting companies to increase the production of synthetic spider silk. Additionally, easy availability of raw materials to manufacture synthetic spider silk is anticipated to boost the market during the forecast period.
- Technological advancements in the global synthetic spider silk market are increasing. Companies are striving to develop new and better methods to manufacture these fibers. Development of new manufacturing processes for synthetic spider silk and rise in utilization of these fibers are expected to propel the global synthetic spider silk market during the forecast period.
Synthetic Spider Silk: Product Segment
- In terms of product, the global synthetic spider silk market can be segmented into genetically modified yeast fermentation, genetically modified silkworm, genetically modified Escherichia coli bacteria fermentation, and others
- The genetically modified yeast fermentation segment is anticipated to account for significant share of the global synthetic spider silk market during the forecast period due to extensive usage of synthetic spider silk in applications such as textiles and health care across the globe
Synthetic Spider Silk: Application Segment
- In terms of application, the global synthetic spider silk market can be divided into textile, automotive, defense, health care, and others
- The textile segment is estimated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period due to the extensive usage of synthetic spider silk in the manufacture of sports apparel
More Trending Reports
Covid-19 Impact on Synthetic Spider Silk Market
- On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. Originating in China, the virus has spread to at least 213 countries and territories around the world.
- Several governments and private sector businesses are operating at a limited capacity or have ceased operations completely due to recent events surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic
- Manufacture of various consumer goods and other products across the globe has come to a halt due to the unavailability of raw materials, shortage of labor, etc. This is expected to hamper the synthetic spider silk market.
Request Covid19 analysis on this market
North America to Dominate Synthetic Spider Silk Market
- In terms of region, the global synthetic spider silk market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America dominated the synthetic spider silk market in 2020. This trend is anticipated to continue during the forecast period owing to the rise in demand for synthetic spider silk fibers in defense applications. The synthetic spider silk market in Europe is anticipated to expand at a rapid pace owing to the increase in demand for these fibers in health care applications in the region.
Key Manufacturers Operating in Global Synthetic Spider Silk Market
The global synthetic spider silk market was consolidated in 2020. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the global synthetic spider silk market include:
- Kraig Biocraft Laboratories, Inc.
- AMSilk GmbH
- Bolt Threads Inc.
- Spiber Inc.