Food Cans Market – Snapshot
Food cans refers to the type of cans that are utilized for the distribution and storage of food and beverage items. Steel and aluminum are some of the materials that are abundantly utilized in the making of these cans. The global food cans market is predicted to ride on the eco-friendliness of the product, rapid rate of recycling, and rise in the demand for canned products.
The global food cans market is expected to gain prominence owing to its unique features such as easy recyclability, hermetically sealed cover, resistance to irregular handling and transport. Sheets of steel and aluminum are the basic raw materials needed for the making of the product. Some of the major suppliers of these raw materials comprise Chalco, ArcelorMittal, UC Rusal and others.
Ability to Retain Nutritional Value of Products to Boost Market Growth
The global food cans market is predicted to witness substantial momentum over the assessment period and is prognosticated to continue its upscale growth rate in the similar fashion. These cans come with many benefits such as anti-leakage, tamper-proof properties, which will help them maintaining nutritional value of the product. Food cans are utilized for the storage of dry food items, such as
- pet food
- frozen food
In addition to that, during the process of transportation, food cans make excellent packaging tools.
The food cans market is observing considerable momentum in the forecast period of 2019-2027 and is expected to continue its upscale growth rate in the same manner. Food cans are tamper-proof, anti-leakage cans that help in maintaining the product’s nutritional value. Food cans are used for storing dry food products such as pet food, beans, fruits, frozen food, and vegetables. Food cans serve as great packaging tools during transportation. Food cans prevent the growth of bad microorganisms that hamper food quality. Therefore, this factor can provide a steady boost to the food cans market. Furthermore, the food cans market is surrounded by frequent technological innovations related to better food preservation. This may also help in driving the food cans market towards growth.
- The prominent growth factor of the food cans market is the rise in the urban population. The urban population has a busy lifestyle. These individuals prefer easy and convenient food. This leads them to buy canned food. An increase in recycling rates and the rising awareness of the disadvantages associated with plastic packaging helps in multiplying the growth rate of the food cans market.
- Growing awareness about the nutritional benefits of fish and seafood consumption is on the rise. For this, individuals prefer canned seafood because of the convenience and long shelf life. This, in turn, can drastically benefit the food cans market. The focus of the manufacturers for designing lightweight and optimized food cans can further flourish the food cans market. The recent launch of shorter round and square-shaped cans by Crown Holdings Inc. can prosper the food cans market further. Partnerships and acquisitions also play a big role in expanding the food cans market to other regions. For instance, the recent agreement signed by Ball Corporation with Envases del Plata, an Argentinian company will help Ball Corporation to strengthen its footprint in the South American region.
Food Cans Market – Moving Beyond Packaging with Custom Manufacturing Trends
Even with the cost-prohibitive nature of metal food cans and poor sustainability credentials of plastic food cans, seasoned analysts at Transparency Market Research (TMR) portend a steady growth of the overall food cans landscape at a CAGR of ~4% during 2019-2027. The ‘twofer’ attribution of food cans – reduced packaging waste and cost cutting opportunities – is highly likely to bolster their adoption in the food and beverage industry. An underway shift from BPA to BPS plastic cans will remain crucial for market players seeking a smooth transition by conforming to regulatory protocols to make it to distribution channels.
On the manufacturing side, the advent of custom manufacturing trends will resonate with end users looking at improving brand value. Besides organic growth strategies, production partnerships with end users will chart the course for where the food cans landscape is heading next.
Looking for Customized Insights to build your business for future, ask for a sample report
Tinplate to Remain the Gold Standard
The traditional lead of metal food cans will remain intact, given the weighted trend of recyclability. That being said, the cost-efficiency of tinplate with near-close properties as aluminum will upkeep their status quo as the ‘material of the choice’, representing steady growth during the forecast period of 2019-2027.
However, the popularity of plastic cans is projected to boom, despite the groundswell and consumer backslash regarding their impacts on health. The production of plastic cans requires relatively low working capital, and with the ongoing shift from BPA to BPS, end users will back the transformation to save on their overhead expenditures.
To get glimpse of what our report offers, ask for a report brochure
Downsizing is the New Rightsizing in the Landscape
Canned foods are often linked to achieving consumption convenience, when it comes to addressing the demands of consumers leading hectic lives. Trends suggest that, small-sized food cans of less than 100 g are likely to catalyze market revenue, given their smooth transportation, low cost, and portion-control proposition, while driving sales through impulsive purchase behaviors.
With the evolving choices of consumers, the sales of large-sized food cans are growing at a high, albeit, steady pace, while that of small-sized food cans are on an exponential projected increase at a CAGR of ~6% during 2019-2027. The said trend specifically stands true in the developed markets of Europe, given the marked adoption of the ‘grab-to-eat’ culture and circular economy.
With four countries from Europe – Germany, Austria, Wales, and Switzerland – occupying the ‘top five-most plastic recycling countries’ space, market players concentrated in the region will benefit from the growing proclivity for plastic material, and offer a stout tailwind to the food cans market.
However, Asia Pacific, in general, and China, in particular, will remain a remunerative food cans market, with a large base of millennial population preferring canned food products over time-consuming recipes. In addition, China accounts for leading aluminum reserves and plastic production, which will further ensure the consistent supply of raw materials. During the forecast period, market players can expect Asia’s market to grow at a CAGR of ~5%.
To get a bird’s eye view of Food Cans Market’s forecasts, ask for a Custom Report
Food Cans Aid in Retaining Nutrient Value and Freshness of Packaged Food
- Canned food is considered as a good source of minerals and vitamins. It also retains the flavor and nutrients of the packaged food. Canned food is known to have high nutritional content because it is harvested and packaged at its peak freshness, which makes it suitable for household and commercial kitchens. These factors are anticipated to be the key growth factors for the food cans market.
- Canned fruits and vegetables ensure a prolonged shelf life, which leads to a decrease in food wastage. Additional benefits offered by canned food surge the demand for food cans, and the market is expected to experience steady growth during the forecast period.
Food Cans Maintain Edge over Other Formats due to Less Environmental Impact
- The use of food cans help in eliminating the need of secondary packaging, which, in turn, decreases the packaging cost, and products can be transported without leaking or breaking. This reduced packaging cost translates into higher profit margins for all participants across the value chain.
- Furthermore, the non-compulsiveness of secondary packaging has reduced packaging waste. This adds to the sustainability of food cans. Modern consumers are concerned about the packaging waste generated, and tend to opt for packaging solutions that reduce their environmental footprint. This is expected to increase the demand for food cans in the global market.
- Manufacturers are also open to going that extra mile to incorporate environmental-friendly substitutes over conventional coatings. For instance, the insides of tin-coated steel cans are being coated with organic coatings, as these can be recycled with ease.
Global Food Cans Market- Key Research Findings
- Among the various capacities, the 300 gm – 500 gm segment is estimated to be prominent in the global food cans market, and is expected to account for ~41% of the market share by the end of 2019.
- In the end-use segments of food cans, fruits and vegetables is expected to account for ~38% share by the end of 2019, but is expected decline by ~2% during the forecast period. Soups, tomatoes, beans and fruits are projected to remain the most canned foods in metal food cans.
- The metal segment in the food cans market is expected to create an incremental opportunity of US$ ~7.3 Bn by 2027, and it is projected to grow at a CAGR of ~4%. This can be attributed to the wide applications of metal cans in the packaging of pickles, tomato purees, and other processed foods.
- Based on material, the tinplate segment is projected to dominate the global food cans market, and is expected to account for ~53% of the market share by the end of 2019. However, the market share is expected to decline by 2.4% during the forecast period. The aluminium segment is anticipated to gain market share, and is expected to generate an incremental opportunity of ~US$ 1.9 Bn by the end of the forecast period.
- In the product type segments, 2-piece food cans are observed to be more prominently used. Thus, they are expected to account for ~82% of market share by the end of 2019, and projected to grow at a CAGR of 3.5% over the forecast period. However, the 3-piece food cans segment is expected to gain ground and expand 1.6X its current value by the end of the forecast period.
Shift from BPA to BPS –Key Trend Observed in the Market
- Conventionally, the inner part of a food can is coated with a layer of bisphenol-A, commonly known as BPA. BPA seeps into the food content and is known to disrupt the natural hormonal balance. It is often linked with prostate and breast cancer, heart disease, and other major damages to infants. This has adversely affected the sales of coated cans significantly. However, consumers are looking for BPA free cans, which is expected to boost the sales of composite cans and plastic cans.
- Manufacturers are using other alternatives such as bisphenol-S (BPS), acrylic or polyester materials as coatings to minimise reactions with food packaged.
Global Food Cans Market – Competition Landscape
- Some of the key players operating in the global food cans market
- Crown Holding Inc.
- Silgan Holding Inc.
- Ball Corporation
- Toyo Seikan Co. Ltd
- Smurfit Kappa Group Plc
- Mondi Group Plc
- Sonoco Product Company
- Ardagh Group S.A
- CPMC Holding Limited
- Kingcan Holding Limited
- Allstate Can Corporation
- Kian Joo Can Factory Berhad
- Independent Can Company
- Colep Portugal S.A, Nampak Ltd
- HUBER Packaging Group
- Visy Industries
- CAN-PACK S.A.
- Jamestrong Packaging
- Aaron Packaging Inc
- Crown Holdings Inc., Ardagh Group S.A, Silgan Holding Inc., and Ball Corporation have been identified as tier 1 players operating in the global food cans market. However, several other players are emerging as prominent regional players, such as Kian Joo Can Factory Berhad, Colep Portugal S.A, and others. These players are likely to have an impact on regional pricing trends and make the market even more competitive.
Read Our Latest Press Release:
Transparency Market Research is a next-generation market intelligence provider, offering fact-based solutions to business leaders, consultants, and strategy professionals.
Our reports are single-point solutions for businesses to grow, evolve, and mature. Our real-time data collection methods along with ability to track more than one million high growth niche products are aligned with your aims. The detailed and proprietary statistical models used by our analysts offer insights for making right decision in the shortest span of time. For organizations that require specific but comprehensive information we offer customized solutions through ad-hoc reports. These requests are delivered with the perfect combination of right sense of fact-oriented problem solving methodologies and leveraging existing data repositories.
Transparency Market Research State Tower,
90 State Street,
Albany NY – 12207
USA – Canada Toll Free: 866-552-3453
Email: [email protected]