Demand for ‘Portable’ Devices to Upkeep Innovation in GaN Substrate Market
Growing on the back of the compactness of car modules, the automotive and transportation industry is serving as a crucial end-use industry for the expansion of the GaN substrate market, and the ongoing undercurrents of green vehicle agendas are likely to surface new revenue streams for market players. Besides this, as the consumer electronics industry continues to look at wafer-sized innovation to support the smart-sizing of devices, the high power-handling capacity of GaN substrates is giving these components an edge over silicon substrates.
At present, players in the gallium nitride substrate market consider product innovation as a winning strategy to survive in the highly competitive landscape, and the demand for portable devices and components is further projected to upkeep their interest in the qualitative approach. However, they need to focus on simplifying the design complexity of GaN substrates to achieve a better infiltration rate in end-use industries, which entails a magnified product-level focus and high investment in research & development activities. Given the multichannel growth opportunities upheld by numerous end-use industries, the GaN substrate market is estimated to expand at a healthy CAGR of ~10% during the period of 2019-2027.
Request a sample to get extensive insights into the GaN Substrate Market
Automation to Intensify Demand for Efficient Semiconductors
In end-use industries such as automotive, healthcare, and aerospace, where drudgery is being fast-replaced by automated processes, the demand for highly-effective semiconductors is mounting. On similar lines, the excellent insulation properties of GaN on sapphire to prevent buffer layers from cracking has been promoting its adoption in these industries.
To understand how our report can bring difference to your business strategy, Ask for a brochure
According to an estimate of the TMR study on the gallium nitride substrate market, GaN on sapphire will account for ~60% of the total sales of GaN substrates; however, the better thermal performance of GaN on silicon technology, coupled with a high drive current, is projected to underpin its adoption in LED applications.
Rising Demand for LEDs to Lead GaN Substrate Market Growth
In the power industry, where manufacturers expend efforts towards achieving energy efficiency, light-emitting diodes (LEDs) are making inroads. With the growing demand for LED technology, advancements in GaN technology with low-defect density and macro-defect density are deemed favorable components for the development of LEDs with improved electric characteristics. However, an exponential rise in the sales of GaN substrates will arrive from their use in the development of transistors, to reduce the size of ICs in particular, and PCBs in general, thereby downsizing the overall size of electronic devices.
Significant Opportunities Await in Electronics Industry
There are abundant opportunities for players in the GaN substrate market to capitalize on. To start with, the penetration of intelligent electronic devices such as laptops, smartphones, and smart watches at an exponential rate, and a progressive improvement in their features and functionalities, are likely to bring in lucrative prospects, since GaN substrate-based electronic devices can operate without any external cooling requisites. The advent of fifth generation Internet speed will further portend the arrival of IoT devices, which will thereby ensure sustained opportunities for players in the gallium nitride substrate market in the future.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on GaN Substrate Market ?
- According to Transparency Market Research’s latest research report on the global GaN substrate market for the historical period of 2017–2018 and the forecast period of 2019–2027, gallium nitride (GaN) devices coupled with an increase in the adoption of white light LEDs is expected to boost the growth of the global GaN substrate market during the forecast period.
- In terms of revenue, the global GaN substrate market is estimated to reach a value of ~US$ 225 Mn by 2027, expanding at a CAGR of ~10% throughout the forecast period.
Rising Popularity of GaN Power Electronic devices: A Key Driver
- Silicon-based power electronic devices such as metal-oxide-semiconductor field-effect transistors (MOSFETs) and insulated gate bipolar transistors (IGBTs) are fundamental elements in any power electronics system used for the conversion, control, and conditioning of electrical energy, from generation to the point of load.
- The advent of gallium nitride (GaN) devices meant that, they could outperform traditional Si-based power chips. This can be primarily attributed to the higher breakdown strength, faster switching speed, higher thermal conductivity, and lower on resistance associated with GaN devices.
- Furthermore, GaN devices ensure higher operational frequency and a higher power density as compared to that offered by silicon (10 times greater). Hence, the popularity of GaN devices is increasing in applications such as automotive, LEDs, and LASER diodes. This, in turn, is fuel the growth of the GaN substrate market.
- Thus, rising popularity of GaN devices is anticipated to have a positive impact on the gallium nitride substrate market.
Service Providers Forming Strategic Alliances in Expanding GaN Substrate Market
- GaN substrates are gaining prominence for various applications, owing to their high breakdown voltage, fast switching capabilities, and high operating current. The GaN substrate market has evolved significantly, and key players in the gallium nitride substrate market engage in finding solutions to address the complexities associated with GaN substrates and GaN devices.
- The global GaN substrate market is fairly fragmented, owing to the presence of several established providers, especially in Asia Pacific. Moreover, the rising prominence of GaN substrates for specific applications has prompted key players to develop cost-effective GaN substrate solutions, and establish their position as key providers of gallium nitride substrate solutions in the market.
- Therefore, key players operating in the GaN substrate market are engaging in various R&D activities in order to develop innovative solutions and cater to their customers in a better manner, and gain a strong foothold as a provider in the GaN Substrate market space.
Strategic Collaborations: Latest Trend among Key GaN Substrate Market Players
- Key players operating in the GaN substrate market are forming strategic collaborations for the development of advanced and cost-effective GaN solutions in the market.
- For instance, in October 2018, Sumitomo Electric Industries, a prominent provider of GaN substrates, announced a partnership with engineered materials firm – II-VI Inc., based in the U.S., to establish a vertically-integrated 150 mm wafer fabrication platform to manufacture gallium nitride on silicon carbide (GaN-on-SiC) high-electron-mobility transistor (HEMT) devices for next-generation 5G wireless networks.
- This move is expected to help Sumitomo to accelerate both, its wide-bandgap RF product roadmaps and consolidate its leading position in the near future.
Global GaN Substrate Market: Competition Landscape
- Detailed profiles of the providers of GaN substrates have been mentioned in the report to evaluate their financials, key product offerings, recent developments, and strategies.
- Key players operating in the global GaN substrate market include
- Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings
- Sumitomo Electric Industries
- Kyocera Corp
- PAM XIAMEN
- Toshiba Corporation
- GaN Systems Inc.
Global GaN Substrate Market: Key Developments
- Key providers of GaN substrates, such as Mitsubishi Electric Corporation, are engaged in the development of innovative GaN solutions in the GaN substrate market.
- For instance, in October 2018, Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings, a prominent provider of GaN substrate solutions, joined forces with the Research Center for Ubiquitous MEMS and Micro Engineering, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST), Japan. As a part of this collaboration, the company developed a gallium nitride-high electron mobility transistor (GaN-HEMT) in a multi-cell structure (multiple transistors cells arranged in parallel), bonded directly to a single-crystal diamond heat-dissipating substrate with high thermal conductivity.
In the report on the global GaN substrate market, we have discussed individual strategies, followed by the company profiles of providers of GaN substrates. The ‘Competition Landscape’ section has been included in the GaN substrate market report to provide readers with a dashboard view and market share analysis of key players operating in the global GaN substrate market.
Read Our Latest Press Release:
Transparency Market Research is a next-generation market intelligence provider, offering fact-based solutions to business leaders, consultants, and strategy professionals.
Our reports are single-point solutions for businesses to grow, evolve, and mature. Our real-time data collection methods along with ability to track more than one million high growth niche products are aligned with your aims. The detailed and proprietary statistical models used by our analysts offer insights for making right decision in the shortest span of time. For organizations that require specific but comprehensive information we offer customized solutions through ad-hoc reports. These requests are delivered with the perfect combination of right sense of fact-oriented problem solving methodologies and leveraging existing data repositories.
Transparency Market Research State Tower,
90 State Street,
Albany NY – 12207
USA – Canada Toll Free: 866-552-3453
Email: [email protected]