If we talk about running a hospital, It is not only dependent upon doctors treating patients and maintaining hospital infrastructure or machines; sensitive information should also be managed and monitored by the employees and staff. However, there are hundreds of patients who visit hospitals daily and keeping their records in books become complicated and are more vulnerable to data loss, data theft and data destruction.
Therefore, managing hospital document information becomes an essential part of running a healthcare organization. Every hospital requires a document management system where they can store, monitor and retrieve information regarding sensitive information as well as keep the records in hand without doubting a mere loss.
The most important advantage of having your data arranged by the electronic document management system is it can save you a great deal of time and energy in surveying through the files manually and finding information. Installing such systems that are secure can also build trust in your patients and other clients.
Down below are mentioned some reasons why healthcare must use electronic document management system?
1) It offers better storage space- How much physical space do these documents take? Almost an entire room or maybe multiple rooms with extra cabinets and storage spaces which are hard to find and access sometimes. Do you know these spaces could be better utilized once you rely on a software that manages the entire data kept on the hard files in multiple rooms? Placing entire data on your document management software and keeping only the hard copies of important files in vaults can help you access, find and store a large amount of information.
2) It reduces errors and processes information faster- Paper documents require to be accessed, checked and carried from one processing department to another to be processed by various individuals. To accomplish these files may take a lot of hours or even days. But with the help of an electronic document management system, you can transfer the files directly to the person who needs to see it. It not only saves time but also reduces errors and lead to faster processing.
3) It provides increased security- Obviously, the information you are loading must be kept safe, especially the files containing HIPPA sensitive data; losing it would be too risky. Therefore, with the electronic document management system for healthcare, you can put various security features to the information and keep it to limited access. Besides, you can check who accesses your files and from where. However, access can be controlled on the folder level for various departments and units.
4) It avoids data disasters- The storage room can catch fire, or other hazards can take place which can completely destroy your files, but with document management software, you can have options like data backups and disaster recovery plans. Since it centrally stores all your files, there is a reduced risk of having your data lost.
5) It keeps your patients happy- Patients can ask you to retrieve their medical records even after 50 years, with such compact and vast system for storing data, you can access and provide them with their medical history within a few seconds. It keeps your patients happy and forges their trust in your organization.