Silicon Carbide Semiconductor: Introduction
- Silicon carbide is a hard, synthetically produced, crystalline compound of silicon and carbide, having chemical formula “SiC”
- It occurs in nature as an extremely rare mineral moissanite. Grains of silicon carbide can be bonded together to form hard ceramics which can be used in applications requiring high endurance such as car brakes, car clutches, and ceramic plates in bulletproof vests.
- Silicon carbide is also known as carborundum. Its powder has been mass produced since 1983 for use as an abrasive.
Asia Pacific to Lead the Silicon Carbide Semiconductor Market
- Automobile makers are developing lightweight vehicles that are economical, emit low carbon dioxide, and still give superior performance due to rising environmental concerns in Asia Pacific.
- Growing demand for lightweight vehicles is beneficial for silicon carbide semiconductor abrasive manufacturers. This is expected to positively impact the market growth during the forecast period.
- China, Japan, Indonesia, and India are seeing demand for electric vehicles, which in turn offers opportunities for silicon carbide semiconductor manufacturers.
- Asia Pacific holds the major market for cellular base stations and radio frequency devices, due to which it captures dominant share in the silicon carbide semiconductor market.
Free Customization as per your requirement, Pre Book Now
- The EV motor drives application is expected to expand at the highest CAGR during the forecast period. Silicon carbide-based semiconductor devices can be used in industrial and commercial motor drives, electro-mechanical computing systems, and high-temperature sensors.
- Batteries made from silicon carbide semiconductor prevents loss of charge and ensures that electric vehicles (EV) and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEV) run for longer distances while reducing weight and cost of vehicle and increasing the efficiency.
Key Players in the Silicon Carbide Semiconductor Market Include:
- Infineon Technologies AG
- Cree, Inc.
- ROHM Co. Ltd.
- STMicroelectronics N.V.
- Fuji Electric Co. Ltd
Global Silicon Carbide Semiconductor Market, by Wafer Size
- 2 Inch
- 4 Inch
- 6 Inch and Above
To gauge the scope of customization in our reports, Ask for a Sample