Global Distribution System Market – Increasing Focus on Technology to Offer Seamless Booking Experience to End Users
The global distribution system market will grow at an above-average pace during 2019-2027, despite being challenged from direct sales channels, on account of high-speed Internet connections and the high infiltration rate of smartphones, as found by a recent study published by Transparency Market Research (TMR). Global distribution systems have been bridging the gap between travelers and tour operators through centralized services that cover the bookings of airline tickets, hotels, and even car rentals, which will serve as a valuable driver to the growth of the GDS market.
Rise in the demand for travel agents as a means of getting the desired reservations for businessmen and leisure travelers has been increasing the relevance of global distribution systems across the world. Since technology is integral for the development of global distribution platforms, travel agencies are seen entering into contracts with leading tech companies to offer a seamless end-user experience.
Get Sample Copy:
Travel Agents Favor Software-based GDS over Services
According to the report, travel agents prefer software-based global distribution systems over service-based systems, given the ‘anywhere, anytime’ ease to access and managing of the platform. The advent of cloud-based distribution systems will eliminate the high cost of physical hardware, and further uplift the popularity of the software for the development of global distribution systems. However, hassles regarding frequent software upgrades are gradually instigating a shift of market players towards outsourced global distribution systems, which is likely to advance at an exponential rate during the forecast period.
The study also finds lucrative opportunities in hotel and resort booking global distribution systems, owing to the proclivity of consumers for leisure travel coupled with their increased spending on ‘experience’ over ‘objects’. In addition, market players will continue to witness high gains from the aviation sector, since an increasing number of airlines have significantly influenced airfares, and travelling overseas has become easier than ever.
Grab an exclusive PDF Brochure of this report:
Key Strategies by Market Participants to Consolidate their Position
Market players approach competition with a keen eye on customer sentiments. Since the smart customers of today compare their options before they make a choice, market players need to rethink their booking flows and search criteria to guide customers in finding the right products. They are also seen leveraging up-selling and cross-selling opportunities, which serve as crucial media to secure high revenue. Besides this, market players are making sizeable efforts towards increasing the simplicity of global distribution systems in an otherwise complicated environment.
In the consolidated landscape, Amadeus IT Group, Travelport Worldwide Ltd., and Sabre Corporation account for ~95% of the market share. Since the global distribution system market is a consolidated space, acquisitions, mergers, and collaborations are common strategies implemented by market players to gain exposure in overseas territories. For instance, eDreams ODIGEO collaborated with Amadeus IT Group to offer extra baggage and seat selection, as a part of its product offering. This strategy helped the company gain traction in the market by offering more personalized products and services, and achieve revenue diversification targets.
Request For Customization:
Analysts’ Take on the Future of Global Distribution System
Authors of the report remain optimistic regarding the growth of the global distribution system market, and anticipate a CAGR of 5.5% during 2019-2027. Security, reliability, accuracy, and speed of these global distribution systems will remain key influencers fortifying their adoption rate. As per the analysis, the potential of GDS is enormous, and it will serve as a robust e-Commerce platform for the travel industry, given the increase in the discretionary spending of consumers. In order to compete with the attractive prices of low-cost carriers, market players can fragment bundled offerings to devise an effective pricing strategy. In the future, technological innovation will remain integral to simplify the labyrinth workflow of global distribution systems, and spark growth.
Global Distribution System Market in Brief
- The global distribution system (GDS) market is expected to register a CAGR of 5.5% between 2019 and 2027. The GDS market is projected to be driven by the large and structurally growing travel & tourism sector, and increasing importance and expansion of LCCs. However, online travel websites that offer price comparison, and changing preferences of travel agencies to book tickets directly from the airline websites, are impacting the growth of the global distribution system market.
- The global distribution system market is expected to reach ~US$ 14.5 Bn by 2027 from ~US$ 9.5 Bn in 2019. The GDS market is mainly fueled by the growth of the travel and tourism industry, globally. According to Airbus, in emerging markets such as Asia Pacific, Latin America, and the Middle East & Africa, total air traffic is expected to rise at a CAGR of 5.5%, 4.2%, and 4.9%, respectively, from 2017 to 2037. Thus, large and structural growth in the travel & tourism industry is driving the growth of the global distribution system market.
- The global distribution system market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to expand at a rapid pace during the forecast period, followed by Europe and North America.
- The GDS market is likely to be driven by the growing number of tourist arrivals in the region. Factors such as rise in economic growth, political stability, aggressive tourism campaigns, high disposable income, and leisure time are fueling the growth of travel & tourism in Asia Pacific, thus boosting the growth of the global distribution system market in the region.
- Players in the global distribution system market are partnering with regional travel agencies in order to expand their market presence. Apart from partnerships, vendors are also focusing on the launch of new solutions and improving their services in order to gain more market share.
Global Distribution System Market: Definition
- The global distribution system market report provides analysis of the GDS market for the period 2017–2027, wherein. 2018 is the base year and 2019 to 2027 is the forecast period. Data for 2017 has been included as historical information.
- In this report, we analyze the growth drivers that are increasing the demand for global distribution systems, and how global distribution system providers are integrating technological advancements into their products.
- This research report provides in-depth analysis of the global distribution system market on the basis of component, application, and region.
Asia Pacific Global Distribution System Market – Snapshot
- APAC is one of the fastest-growing regions across the globe, where growth is mainly driven by two countries – India and China.
- The demand for global distribution systems is predicted to rise substantially during the forecast period with the growing travel and tourism industry in the region, and rise in the disposable income of the population.
- Asia Pacific is showing a rapid shift from on-premise platforms to cloud-based global distribution system solutions. The region is considerably enhancing its infrastructure base for ticket booking and reservations for the travel & tourism industry. Thus, cloud-based deployment is rapidly expanding in the region.
Key Growth Drivers of the Global Distribution System Market
- Large and Structurally Growing Travel & Tourism Market – According to the World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC), the travel & tourism industry has shown continuous growth, contributing US$ 8.8 trillion, or 10.4% of the global GDP, in 2018. Also, as per the WTTC, the travel & tourism industry is forecasted to expand at a CAGR of 3.8% to reach US$ 12.5 trillion by 2028. According to the Population Reference Bureau, structural trends are expected to drive growth in the travel & tourism industry. Emerging markets have shown significant growth in contribution to population around the globe, and are forecasted to grow at a higher rate than developed nations through to 2050.
- Increasing Importance and Expansion of LCCs – In the air travel industry, low cost carriers (LCCs) have increased their market shares, generating additional demand for air travel by offering low fares. The ability of GDS to process complex itineraries has attracted many LCCs to adopt them. Thus, the increasing importance and expansion of LCCs is contributing to the growth of the global distribution system market.
Key Challenges Faced by Global Distribution System Market Players
- A global distribution system (GDS) is a worldwide computerized reservation network used as a single point of access to reserve airline seats, hotel rooms, and car rental by travel agents, online reservation sites, and large corporations.
- Advancements in mobile and internet technologies such as World Wide Web (WWW) and smartphones allow consumers to book their tickets directly from airlines. As a result, in 2018, the number of travel agents using GDS for booking travel tickets decreased as compared to 2015.
- Some airlines impose additional fees for booking tickets through GDS rather than their own website.
Global Distribution System Market – Company Profiles
- Travelport Worldwide Ltd.: Founded in 2001, Travelport Worldwide Ltd. offers a travel commerce platform, providing distribution, technology, payment, mobile, and other solutions for the global travel and tourism industry. Travelport Worldwide Ltd has a broad geographic footprint in the travel distribution industry. In 2018, the company generated US$ 2,454 million in travel commerce platform revenue, with a regional share of 23% from Asia Pacific, 35% from Europe, 5% from Latin America and Canada, 13% from the Middle East & Africa, and 24% from the United States.
- Amadeus IT Group: Founded in 1987, Amadeus IT Group is a leading transaction processor for the global travel and tourism industry, providing advanced technology solutions to travel providers and travel agency customers, worldwide. The company is organized into two operating segments: Distribution and IT Solutions, on the basis of different services offered. The company facilitates complex transactions between travel providers and travel sellers, and provides mission critical IT solutions for travel providers.
- Sabre Corporation: Founded in 2006, Sabre Corporation provides products and solutions to the global travel and tourism industry. It provides key software and services to a broad range of travel suppliers and travel buyers. The company also offers an extensive suite of software solutions to travel suppliers, ranging from airline and hotel reservation systems to high-value marketing and operations solutions.
Other regional players operating in the global distribution system market and profiled in the report include
- INFINI Travel Information, Inc.
- Sirena-Travel CJSC
- TravelSky Technology Limited.
Read Our Latest Press Release:
Transparency Market Research is a next-generation market intelligence provider, offering fact-based solutions to business leaders, consultants, and strategy professionals.
Our reports are single-point solutions for businesses to grow, evolve, and mature. Our real-time data collection methods along with ability to track more than one million high growth niche products are aligned with your aims. The detailed and proprietary statistical models used by our analysts offer insights for making right decision in the shortest span of time. For organizations that require specific but comprehensive information we offer customized solutions through ad-hoc reports. These requests are delivered with the perfect combination of right sense of fact-oriented problem solving methodologies and leveraging existing data repositories.
Transparency Market Research State Tower,
90 State Street,
Albany NY – 12207
USA – Canada Toll Free: 866-552-3453
Email: [email protected]