Granite-versus-Quartz-Countertops

A kitchen countertop is an essential part of every home. A countertop not only facilitates the cooking process but also add style to your kitchen. However, selecting the right kitchen countertop is a tedious and time tasking process. There are a number of factors that one has to consider before picking the right kitchen countertop.

Design, durability, maintenance, and price are some major factors that you should keep in mind. However, selecting the right material is a choice that takes over other key factors.

There are a number of material choices available when it comes to countertops. Granite, marble, ceramic tiles, concrete, soapstone, and Quartz Countertops are among the favorite choices. Among these, granite and quartz are the two most commonly picked materials.

Granite or Quartz Countertops – Which One Is Better

In this article, we’ve reviewed the properties and functionality of these two countertop materials. In case you are thinking to buy a granite or quartz countertop, continue to read on. You would be able to make a better decision after reading this article.

  • Granite

Granite is a natural stone and is mined in large blocks directly from the earth. These blocks are then cut into appropriately sized slabs at the quarry. Before shipping these slabs, they are polished on one side for a better view. The fabricators then cut these large slabs into desirable shapes according to the client’s specifications and requirements.

  • Quartz

Quartz is the most abundantly found material on the earth. However, the type of quartz that is used to make countertops is engineered material.

Natural quartz is ground into dust and then pigments and resins are added into it. These pigments and resins make 10% of this compound which is then turned into large slabs. The pigments add various colors and patterns to quartz for beautification. Like granite, the quartz slabs are cut into different shapes and sizes.

Comparison of Granite and Quartz Countertops

We’ve compared the granite and quartz countertops for a better review. Our comparison is based on five different key points.

  1. Natural Stone

Both granite and quartz are naturally occurring materials on earth. Here’s why one is slightly better than the other.

As we mentioned earlier, the quartz countertops consist of 90% quartz. The other 10% is a mixture of polymer resins and pigments.

On the other hand, granite countertops are purely made of natural material. It is cut to required sizes, polished and places in the kitchens as it is.

  1. Cost

There was a time when quartz countertops were used to be expensive than granite. However, the latest production methods and technological advancements have made it easy to manufacture quartz countertops. Unless you are buying a rare granite slab or customizing your quartz countertop, they are both now closely priced.

  1. Durability

Granite countertops usually stain when subjected to red wine. As a natural stone, it has imperfections and flaws that homeowners may or may not like in a countertop.

Quartz countertops are engineered, as a result, they don’t have many flaws. They may crack stress like granite or may break under high temperatures. Quartz countertops are less prone to staining because of added resins.

  1. Maintenance

Most homeowners like to buy stone countertops considering they don’t have to maintain it. However, both granite and quarts need some maintenance once they are implanted in your kitchen.

Granite requires sealing after installation and on an annual basis. You also have to polish it from time to time but not so frequently.

Quartz, on the other hand, doesn’t require initial or continued sealing. However, it may need polishing more often than a granite countertop.

  1. Looks

When it comes to looks and design, both materials have their own unique qualities. Granite is a uniquely found natural stone whereas quartz can offer a simple look with variant colors and patterns. Similarly, granite comes with natural variation while you can get a similar pattern with quartz with customization.

Verdict

Granite and quartz are both unique countertop materials that can complement your kitchen style. If we consider the durability and unique looks, granite offers the best value. But quartz is a more suitable material considering maintenance and cost factors. Overall, quartz countertops are better than granite countertops due to their vibrant colors, vivid patterns, and durable nature.

Which One Should You Choose?

In case you are looking for unique patterns with a more natural look, granite is best for you. However, for those who prefer a monochromatic kitchen, a quartz countertop is the best pick.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here