Barrier Paper Prevents Waste Generation in F&B Industry
In the present times, one of the key concerns in the food & beverages industry is prevention of food wastage. Hence, manufacturers in the functional and barrier coatings for paper market are developing innovative barrier papers that help to reduce food wastage. For instance, Mitsubishi Hitec Paper Europe – a provider of specialty papers has gained expertise in ‘barricote barrier’ that are unique barrier papers extensively used in flexible packaging.
In terms of end use, the food segment of the functional and barrier coatings for paper market is estimated to reach an output of ~482,900 tons by the end of 2027. Thus, it is inevitable for manufacturers in the functional and barrier coatings for paper market to gain increased expertise in sustainable raw materials that prevent food wastage.
Get Sample Copy:
Unique barrier papers are gaining popularity for protection against vapor, aroma, and mineral oil migration. Companies in the functional and barrier coatings for paper market are increasing production capacities to produce fully recyclable barrier papers.
Environment-friendly Packaging with Barrier Coatings Fight Plastic Waste
Companies in the functional and barrier coatings for paper market are looking beyond linear economy models, and are increasing efforts to fight plastic waste. For instance, Japanese manufacturer of materials, Kuraray, revealed that the company is aiming to fight plastic waste by introducing environment-friendly packaging with barrier coatings, such as EXCEVAL™ to increase the availability of packaging solutions for the paper industry.
Since plastic is causing strain on the environment, manufacturers in the functional and barrier coatings for paper market are introducing innovative packaging materials to address this issue. The aim to achieve reusable and recyclable plastic packaging by 2030 in the European Union is garnering the attention of manufacturers in the functional and barrier coatings for paper market. Thus, to create solutions in the current scenario, manufacturers are leveraging the advantages of specialty papers to contribute toward environment-friendly packaging solutions. Manufacturers in the functional and barrier coatings for paper market are increasing research efforts to develop high-performance barrier coatings using copolymers as a potential alternative to conventional plastic materials.
Grab an exclusive PDF Brochure of this report:
Fiber-based Systems Use Repulpable Paper to Offer Unique Packaging Solutions
Repulpable paper packaging is another concern for manufacturers in the functional and barrier coatings for paper market. Renewed focus on paper materials has increased awareness about eco-friendly fiber-based solutions that are replacing plastic straws, disposable cups, bottles, and the likes. Companies in the functional and barrier coatings for paper market are increasing their efficacy in technologies that replace paraffin wax in paper materials and are exploring techniques that replace fluorocarbon for grease barriers in food-service applications.
Companies in the functional and barrier coatings for paper market are introducing novel materials such as barrier biowaxes that are not only used in food and beverages but also in other applications. They are streamlining their production activities to produce final system designs consisting of one to three different coatings that serve different functions, as per the end producers’ requirements. The trend of fiber-based materials is gaining the attention of manufacturers in order to contribute toward the development of repulpable paper materials.
Request For Customization:
Packaging Innovations in Water-based Barrier Coatings to Drive Market
The functional and barrier coatings for paper market is largely fragmented, since tier 2 regional and local companies account for ~70-75% of the market share. Thus, leading players are facing tough competition from emerging players. However, lack of clarity and understanding toward regulations pose as a challenge for market players. For instance, Asia Pacific accounts for the share of the functional and barrier coatings for paper market. India being one of the fastest growing economies in Asia Pacific faces challenges when it comes to compliance with regulations. This phenomenon has stunted the pace of innovation in India functional and barrier coatings for paper market.
In order to increase awareness about regulations in the India functional and barrier coatings for paper market, manufacturers are leading by example and are increasing R&D to develop water-based barrier coatings to promote sustainability. These novel innovations are replacing conventional plastic bags and cups.
Sustainability, recyclability, and repulpable paper packaging are some of the key focus points for manufacturers in the functional and barrier coatings for paper market. Groundbreaking innovations include the introduction of bio-based barrier coating solutions, predominantly made for paper cups.
However, recycling in developing and developed economies, such as the U.S., only sum up to a fraction of the millions of single-use paper cups that are disposed daily worldwide. Hence, manufacturers should introduce biodegradable paper cups and increase awareness about importance and need for recycling.
Companies should participate in trade fairs to showcase their innovations in functional and barrier coatings for paper and bolster their credibility credential in the global market landscape.
Read TMR Research Methodology @:
Functional and Barrier Coatings for Paper Market: Overview
- According to Transparency Market Research’s latest market report on the functional and barrier coatings for paper market for the historical period of 2014-2019 and forecast period of 2019-2027, continuous rising demand for functional and barrier coating for paper in packaging applications is anticipated to drive growth of the global market. The use of barrier coating in place of adding barrier layers on paper cuts down production costs, and saves time within the supply chain.
Rising Applications in Food Packaging to Boost Use of Functional and Barrier Coatings for Paper
- Paper is lightweight and offers recyclability for various applications such as printing, writing, packaging, and household products, among others. However, porosity and hydrophilicity of paper as a substrate may impose complications such as permeation of gases, water, and oils, especially for packaging applications. Control over wetting and barrier properties is essential to maintain the mechanical properties and shape of a package, which limits the quality loss of packaged goods and fiber swelling. These functionalities can be improved by internal sizing or treatment of paper with external functional and barrier coatings.
- Functional and barrier coatings for paper find application in end-use industries such as food, beverages, personal care, and pharmaceuticals. Most food products are packaged in boxes, labels & tags, and folding cartons that are coated with functional and barrier coatings. This is necessary as these packages that often come in contact with vapor and moisture.
- Prominently used functional and barrier coatings for paper include poly and pigment coatings, attributable to their high barrier properties concerning shelf-life requirements. Furthermore, multi-layer packaging formats are vulnerable to non-recyclability and non-biodegradability. With increasing research & development activities, printing and packaging suppliers can offer solutions with a longer shelf-life along with improved user experience with the help of functional and barrier coatings. These factors draw consumers’ attraction towards the aesthetic appeal of the packaged products, along with improving functional and barrier properties of the packaging.
- Packaging converters use functional and barrier coatings for paper to improve aesthetics and preserve product quality and integrity. Functional and barrier coatings for paper reduce the chances of transmission of air, moisture, as well as flavor in or from the package. These coatings can be applied to boxes, folding cartons, and other packaging & printing substrates to improve their performance.
Key Developments in Functional and Barrier Coatings for Paper Market
- In November 2019, Stora Enso entered into a strategic collaboration with HS Manufacturing Group (HSMG), a producer of plant-based barrier coatings, to develop Stora Enso’s formed fiber offering
- In May 2019, Sonoco Products Company invested US$ 17 Mn for ‘Dream Machine’ for laminating and coating paper & paperboard products in Birmingham
- In 2017, Cortec Corporation has launched EcoShield® Barrier Coating for Paper and Paperboard, which is a water-based barrier coating and is 100% repulpable and recyclable
Usage of Functional and Barrier Coatings for Paper to Reduce Overall Weight and Cost
Key Benefits of Functional and Barrier Coatings for Paper include:
- Excellent barrier properties
- Improved durability and performance of paper
- Enhanced printing capabilities
Functional and Barrier Coatings for Paper Market: Competition Landscape
- Some of the key players operating in the global functional and barrier coatings for paper market are
- Paramelt B.V
- Cortec Corporation
- Sierra Coating Technologies LLC
- Stora Enso Oyj
- Michelman, Inc.
- Omnova Solutions Inc.
- BASF S.E.
- Dow Chemical Company
- Sonoco Products Company
- KoninklijkeDSM NV
- The Dow Chemical Company and BASF S.E. have been recognized as tier-1 players operating in the functional and barrier coatings for paper market, and hold a substantial share of the total market
- The bargaining power of suppliers is likely to be low to moderate in the functional and barrier coatings for paper market. Small-scale and unorganized players are expected to contribute to the growth of the functional and barrier coatings for paper market.
Read Our Latest Press Release:
Transparency Market Research is a next-generation market intelligence provider, offering fact-based solutions to business leaders, consultants, and strategy professionals.
Our reports are single-point solutions for businesses to grow, evolve, and mature. Our real-time data collection methods along with ability to track more than one million high growth niche products are aligned with your aims. The detailed and proprietary statistical models used by our analysts offer insights for making right decision in the shortest span of time. For organizations that require specific but comprehensive information we offer customized solutions through ad-hoc reports. These requests are delivered with the perfect combination of right sense of fact-oriented problem solving methodologies and leveraging existing data repositories.
Transparency Market Research State Tower,
90 State Street,
Albany NY – 12207
USA – Canada Toll Free: 866-552-3453
Email: [email protected]