Chipless RFID Tags: Introduction
- Radio frequency identification (RFID) is a wireless data capturing technique which uses radio frequency waves for automatic identification of objects. A RFID system uses radio frequency waves for data transmission between the data carrying device known as RFID tag and the interrogator.
- The RFID system consists of a reader/interrogator, which sends the signal to a RFID tag which is to be identified. The tag contains an identification code and a middleware software which maintains the interface.
- Chipless RFID tags are used in place of the traditional high-cost silicon RFID tags. Chipless RFID systems use the electromagnetic properties of materials, and design various conductor shapes to get specific electromagnetic properties.
- Chipless RFID tags have sensing capabilities; also, they are cheap, printable, and used in mass production and in harsh environments. These tags can be made disposable or biodegradable, using proper materials to fabricate them.
- Chipless RFID tags are used over a wider temperature range and they are less sensitive to RF interference. They are used in anti-counterfeiting applications and for tagging documents. The amount of information that these tags can store and transmit is limited as they do not have a memory chip.
Growing Demand for Chipless RFID Tags
- A chipless RFID tag is printable; it can be printed on metals & bottles having fluids. Chipless RFID tags are used in item tagging such as for ID cards, bank notes, drink containers, books, aluminum cans, and customer merchandise.
- Chipless RFID tag is a wireless technology used for access control, automatic identification, security & surveillance, tracking, database management, logistics, and inventory control
- Increasing advancement in the technology such as thin and flexible chipless RFID tags can be used with printed sensors, thin-film photovoltaic solar cells, and other technologies. The rising usage of electronic printing and ink technologies is offering vendors the option to print their own chipless RFID tags as per requirement.
- Products having RFID tags can automatically record the prices and other details when a customer reaches the counter, eliminating the need to scan each and every product, which saves the time of the customer as well as the product retailer. These advantages are motivating retail and manufacturing companies to adopt chipless RFID tags.
North America to Lead the Chipless RFID Tags Market
- North America is leading the chipless RFID tags market, as key players in the retail sector such as Walmart are adopting chipless RFID tags technology in their supply chains. Most of the retail companies in the U.S. are implementing chipless RFID tags to enhance the asset tracking process in a cost-effective manner.
- In the global market, fashion apparel, consumer electronics, and cultural goods manufacturers are adopting chipless RFID tags technology, which improves the store management system, thereby driving the growth of the market
- In India, the chipless RFID tags market is growing rapidly due to rise in per capita income. The increasing demand for smart appliances and smart gadgets is propelling the growth of the chipless RFID tags market
Key Players Operating in the Global Chipless RFID Tags Market
- Honeywell International Inc.
- Zebra Technologies Corporation
- NXP Semiconductors N.V.
- Alien Technology, LLC
- Invengo Technology Pte. Ltd.
Global Chipless RFID Tags Market: Research Scope
Global Chipless RFID Tags Market, by Technology
- Spectral Signature Based Chipless Tags
- Time Domain Reflectometry Based Chipless Tags
Global Chipless RFID Tags Market, by Application
- Smart Cards
- Smart Tickets
- Asset Management
Global Chipless RFID Tags Market, by End-use Industry
- Logistic & Transportation
Global Chipless RFID Tags Market, by Region
- North America
- Rest of North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- South America
- Rest of South America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
This study by TMR is all-encompassing framework of the dynamics of the market. It mainly comprises critical assessment of consumers’ or customers’ journeys, current and emerging avenues, and strategic framework to enable CXOs take effective decisions.
Our key underpinning is the 4-Quadrant Framework EIRS that offers detailed visualization of four elements:
- Customer Experience Maps
- Insights and Tools based on data-driven research
- Actionable Results to meet all the business priorities
- Strategic Frameworks to boost the growth journey
The study strives to evaluate the current and future growth prospects, untapped avenues, factors shaping their revenue potential, and demand and consumption patterns in the global market by breaking it into region-wise assessment.