Stakeholders to Improve Functional Properties of Automotive Brake Pads amidst Evolving Industry Requirements
Technological advancements and innovations continue to drive the automotive sector worldwide. The pursuit of the development of vehicles for the cities of the future has accelerated the pace at which technology is progressing, particularly in the automotive sector. Braking systems and components play an integral role in safeguarding the integrity of a vehicle. With significant technological developments, automotive manufacturers are allotting a substantial amount of resources toward the development of improved disk brakes, wherein automotive brake pads/blocks are an integral component of the standard braking equipment.
Stakeholders in the current automotive brake pad market are increasingly focusing on improving the design aspects of their products to enhance efficiency and prevent wear and tear. Apart from these key areas, participants in the current automotive brake pad market are also likely to improve the frictional properties of their automotive brake pads to gain a competitive edge over their competitors. Major companies in the current market landscape are exploring the potential of an array of materials to develop automotive brake pads for automotive vehicles of the future. Due to these factors, the global automotive brake pad market is expected to reach ~US$ 5.4 Bn by the end of the forecast period (2020-2027).
Request a sample to get extensive insights into the Automotive Brake Pad Market
Growing Emphasis on Improving Standard Braking Systems to Aid Market Growth
Operators involved in the current market landscape have identified the need to improve the efficiency of standard braking equipment in automotive vehicles worldwide. While the automotive brake pad is predominantly made of three main materials: organic, metallic, and ceramic, stakeholders are not ruling out the possibility of deploying other materials to manufacture automotive brake pads. Research and development activities are in full swing to find novel materials that address the issues put forward by the existing braking systems and braking pads.
For instance, in April 2019, a group of researchers at the University of Toronto, Sharif University of Technology, and University of British Columbia introduced a new breaking system design, which is self-lubricating. The newly designed brakes are expected to prevent wear and tear, and offer superior frictional properties than the existing braking systems in the automotive market. While braking pad designs made from different materials offer a range of benefits and drawbacks based on multiple parameters, including noise, response time, design, cost, durability, and temperature while usage. However, apart from these parameters, the recently conducted research also takes into account other factors, including composite breakdown at high temperature, wear testing, durability, and friction.
To understand how our report can bring difference to your business strategy, Ask for a brochure
The cutting-edge carbon fiber polymer brakes designed by researchers is expected to be a groundbreaking discovery in the automotive brake pad market. The advent of this technology is expected to trigger the development of smaller, cost-effective, and efficient brake pads with improved ability to withstand high temperatures and friction. Stakeholders in the current automotive brake pad market are expected to develop nanomaterials and combine them with polymers to create multifunctional composites to address a host of problems, including heat distribution, molecular level, friction, and wear.
Companies Prioritize Product Launches to Strengthen Market Position
Due to the evolving requirements of the automotive sector, the development of new automotive braking pads and innovations are expected to gain significant momentum in the automotive brake pad market. As new braking technologies continue to be launched in the market, new, efficient, and cost-effective automotive brake pads are set to feature in the automobiles in the future.
For instance, in July 2019, Dove Technologies, Inc. launched a new self-cooling brake pad in which the heat is directed away from the brake and the rotor contact area, owing to the unique design. While some companies are expected to launch new variants of automotive brake pads, other companies are inclined toward expanding their market presence by introducing innovative and high-performing disc brake technologies wherein braking pads are critical. For instance, in January 2020, Brembo, a leading brake manufacturer revealed that the company aims to strengthen its market presence by focusing on innovations and refining their disc brake technology.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on Automotive Brake Pad Market
Automotive Brake Pad Market: Overview
- The global automotive brake pad market is expected to expand at a CAGR of ~5% between 2020 and 2027
- Automotive disc brakes are slowly replacing drum brakes among passenger and commercial vehicles, owing to high braking efficiency and better lifespan offered by disc brakes as compared to that offered by drum brakes
- Change in regulatory norms for integration of advanced automotive braking systems is propelling the market for automotive disc brakes, which in turn is boosting the demand for automotive brake pads
Drivers of Automotive Brake Pad Market
- Rising concerns about safety is fueling the adoption of disc brakes over drum brakes, which comprises the brake pads as an integral component. Moreover, high reliability on disc brakes and comparatively lower required maintenance are further propelling the market for brake pads significantly.
- Rising road fatalities have prompted manufacturers to integrate advanced braking system technologies such as ant-lock braking system and emergency braking assist system into their vehicles. Total number of fatalities due to road accidents is increasing rapidly. The primary reasons include the driver’s fault, unorganized infrastructure, and failure of vehicles’ systems.
- As per a study conducted in 2015, nearly 1.3 million people die in road crashes each year, an average of 3,287 deaths a day. An additional 20 to 50 million are injured or disabled. Road traffic crashes rank as the ninth-leading cause of death and account for 2.2% of all deaths globally.
- As per the Association for Safe International Road Travel, in the U. S., more than 37,000 people die in road crashes each year, an average of 3,000 deaths per day. An additional 2.35 million people are injured or disabled.
- Technology is rapidly advancing and the safety of passengers is being enhanced through the usage of advanced technology and the advanced driver assistant system (ADAS). Among all the technologies, disc brakes are the highly preferred brake type, which is boosting the market for automotive brake pad.
- Passenger vehicles and commercial vehicles have been witnessing a consistent increase in demand for automotive safety solutions in the last few years. High demand for safety products and concern toward replacement of worn out parts are likely to propel the demand for automotive brake pad during the forecast period.
Read TMR Research Methodology @:
Challenges for Automotive Brake Pad Market
- Availability of a wide portfolio for brake pads, which varies as per the material used to manufacture the brake pads. Moreover, Latin America and Middle East & Africa are price sensitive markets; furthermore, low awareness and negligence about replacement of the automotive brake pads is hindering the demand for brake pads in the aftermarket.
Automotive Brake Pad: Market Segmentation
- Based on OEM, the market has been classified into commercial vehicle and passenger vehicle. The passenger vehicle segment dominated the global automotive brake pads market in 2019. Among all the passenger vehicles, SUV segment is anticipated to be the leading segment of the market, owing to rising production and high preference among consumers for utility vehicles. Entry level vehicles, i.e. minicompact, supercompact, and compact vehicles, are anticipated to be the prominent segment of the market, as penetration of the disc brakes is rising consistently among entry level vehicles.
- Based on aftermarket, passenger vehicle has been the dominant segment of the market; however, the replacement rate of brake pads in commercial vehicle is higher than that in passenger vehicles. Moreover, demand for brake pads in the aftermarket is being witnessed in utility vehicles. Replacement of brake pads majorly depends on driving behavior. In most cases, entry level vehicles are fitted with organic brake pads that wear out at a rapid pace, as compared to that of ceramic and metallic brake pads. Therefore, the demand for replacement of brake pad is comparatively higher in entry level vehicles.
Automotive Brake Pad Market: Regional Analysis
- In terms of region, Asia Pacific held a significant share of the global automotive brake pad/ block market in 2019, owing to high production of vehicles in the region and rising demand for premium and luxury vehicles among developing countries of the region. Availability of major component manufacturers and presence of major OEMs in the region are key factors attributed to the notable market share held by Asia Pacific.
- Consistent rise in penetration of advance braking systems across several countries, including China and India, is a prominent factor driving the global automotive brake pad/ block market. Asia Pacific is witnessing a robust increase in penetration of disc brakes. Furthermore, the demand for electric vehicles is expected to rise during the forecast period, which in turn is likely to boost the automotive brake pad/ block market.
Automotive Brake Pad Market: Competition Landscape
- Key players operating in the global automotive brake pad market include
- Robert Bosch GmbH
- Delphi Technologies
- Federal-Mogul LLC
- Akebono Brake Corporation
- ASK Automotive Pvt. Ltd.
- Brembo S.p.A.
- Delphi Technologies
- Nisshinbo Brake Inc.
- Super Circle Auto Limited.
- ZF Friedrichshafen AG
- Masu Brake
- Federal-Mogul LLC
- EBC Brakes
- MACAS AUTOMOTIVE
- Japan Brake Industrial Co., Ltd.
- Brake Parts Inc. LLC.
- Toughla Brakelinings
Read Our Latest Press Release:
Transparency Market Research is a next-generation market intelligence provider, offering fact-based solutions to business leaders, consultants, and strategy professionals.
Our reports are single-point solutions for businesses to grow, evolve, and mature. Our real-time data collection methods along with ability to track more than one million high growth niche products are aligned with your aims. The detailed and proprietary statistical models used by our analysts offer insights for making right decision in the shortest span of time. For organizations that require specific but comprehensive information we offer customized solutions through ad-hoc reports. These requests are delivered with the perfect combination of right sense of fact-oriented problem solving methodologies and leveraging existing data repositories.
Transparency Market Research State Tower,
90 State Street,
Albany NY – 12207
USA – Canada Toll Free: 866-552-3453
Email: [email protected]