- A connecting chiplet is a physical piece of silicon. It encapsulates an IP (intellectual property) subsystem. A chiplet is designed to integrate with the other chiplets through package-level integration, typically through advanced package integration and through the use of standardized interfaces.
- The connecting chiplet connects the systems in such a way that they act as a series or combination of chips that acts as a single chip. These chiplets are widely used in computing industries in order to improve the system performance and reliability of the computers.
- Manufacturers are gaining benefits through connecting chiplets which include more easily-specialized systems and higher yield, among others. But more importantly, they might lead to a big shift in the design and sale of hardware devices and semiconductor chips in the industry.
- These are some of the targeted end-products that might become a small, specialized chiplet meant to be combined in the same package with both a general purpose processor and many other specialty chiplets.
Are you a start-up willing to make it big in the business? Grab an exclusive PDF Brochure of this report
Use of Chiplets in Next Generation Servers
- The slow going lithographic scaling in semiconductor devices already has a major influence in the designing of computer operated products. Manufacturers across various countries in semiconductor industries as well as designers are looking for new ways to provide increasing computing competence required for supporting the data intensive future. This has significant command over multi-core processors, processor accelerators, and the concept of chiplets.
- The two major players in the semiconductor, electronics, and computing industries – Intel and AMD, are pursuing the use of chiplets in their next generation servers. The companies have collaborated and are breaking down monolithic processors into smaller specialized chips, called chiplets. These connecting chiplets are linked together on a multi-chip module (MCM). With this method, both the companies are concentrating on small lithographic feature technology in the semiconductors component such as small special purpose chips. This will increase the yield and effectiveness of small lithographic technology and hence is projected to boost the connecting chiplets market.
Ecosystem Issues and Lack of Standards Might Hinder the Connecting Chiplets Market
- The connecting chiplet model continues to gain traction in the market, but there are still some challenges to enable broader support for the technology. AMD, Intel, TSMC, Marvell, and a few others have developed or demonstrated devices using connecting chiplets, which is an alternative way to develop an advanced design.
- The adoption of connecting chiplets is limited in the industry and this is due to some ecosystem issues such as lack of standards and other factors. Work for this is ongoing to solve these problems. Behind the scenes, several foundries and OSATs are putting the pieces in place to help customers with connecting chiplets.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report
Asia Pacific to Lead the Global Connecting Chiplets Market
- In terms of region, the global connecting chiplets market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- The connecting chiplets market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to expand at the maximum CAGR during the forecast period. This growth can be attributed to population increase, improving standards of living, and rise in development and expenditure on electronic products. Countries such as India and China have various leading manufacturers of semiconductor components and devices such as connecting chiplets.
- The connecting chiplets market in North America and Europe is likely to witness stagnant growth. The market in Latin America and Middle East & Africa is estimated to show sluggish growth during the forecast period.
Key Players in the Global Market
The global connecting chiplets market was highly fragmented in 2019. Prominent players operating in the global connecting chiplets market are focusing on technological developments and expansion to meet the growing demand for connecting chiplets. Moreover, manufacturers are signing partnerships for the development of innovative products and to gain higher profit margins.
Key players operating in the global connecting chiplets market include:
- INTRINSIX CORP.
Global Connecting Chiplets Market: Research Scope:
Global Connecting Chiplets Market, by Region
- North America
- Russia & CIS
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East & Africa
Read Our Latest Press Release: