Growing Consumer Awareness Coupled with Rising Scientific Evidence Pertaining to Harmful Effects of BPA to Aid Market Growth
The food & beverages industry has remained one of the most prominent end-use industries as far as the adoption of Bisphenol A (BPA) cans is concerned. Bisphenol A is extensively used for packaging of canned foods. However, over the past decade, due to a range of factors, including growing consumer awareness pertaining to the harmful nature of BPA, scientific evidence that indicate the toxic nature of BPA, along with the evolving regulatory landscape, BPA free products, including BPA free cans, have gained considerable demand around the world. Due to additional pressure applied by regulatory authorities, manufacturers involved in the current market landscape are increasingly leaning toward producing BPA free cans.
Get Sample Copy:
Evolving consumer patterns across the food & beverages industry indicate that the demand for canned food products and beverages has witnessed consistent growth over the past few years, which in turn, has directly influenced the demand for BPA free cans. Growing consumer concerns pertaining to exposure to BPA is a major factor that is expected to drive the BPA free cans market during the forecast period. In addition, evidences supporting the link between BPA and obesity in children is another factor that has led to a considerable demand for BPA free cans– a trend that is expected to influence the growth of the BPA free cans market.
While the food & beverage sectors is expected to spearhead the demand for BPA free cans during the stipulated timeframe of the study, a surge in demand from the cosmetics and pharmaceutical sector is anticipated. At the back of these factors, along with continual research & development activities, the global BPA free cans market is expected to expand at a significant rate during the forecast period. While governments across the world have not enforced bans on BPA cans or packaging, manufacturers are increasingly shying away from using BPA due to the dwindling demand for products with BPA.
Buy Complete [email protected]
High Demand for BPA Free Alternatives from Food & Beverages Sector to Provide Lucrative Opportunities
At present, participants involved in the food & beverages sector are swaying away from using BPA in their packaging solutions. Nearly 90% of the cans used across the food & beverages sector are BPA free as per the Can Manufacturers Institute. The growing demand for food safety is a leading factor due to which, food companies are primarily switching to using BPA free cans. In addition, participants operating in the food & beverages sector are increasingly focusing on BPA free cans to improve the quality of packaging and increase consumer trust and safety.
At the back of the dwindling demand for BPA cans, an array of new materials, including acrylic, polyester, steel, and aluminum have emerged as top contenders to replace BPA. Regulatory agencies are largely focusing on testing the safety aspects of these materials to ensure that optimum quality in food products is maintained. Although the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has not deemed BPA unsafe for use, several research activities have indicated that BPA could lead to an array of problems in the neurological, reproductive, and immune systems of humans.
Grab an exclusive PDF Brochure of this report:
Consumer preferences indicate a strong shift from BPA products and the trend is likely to continue during the forecast period. Sensing widening opportunities to capitalize on the BPA free fad, an array of companies have entered the BPA free cans market due to which, competition across the global BPA free cans market has increased by a considerable margin. In addition, due to research, a new epoxy is likely to replace BPA from food cans– a factor that is expected to boost the growth of the global BPA free cans market during the assessment period.
Demand from Pharmaceutical Sector Likely to Grow amid COVID-19
The advent of the ongoing novel COVID-19 pandemic is expected to have a short-term impact on the growth of the global BPA free cans market. Due to stringent guidelines enforced by governments around the world, particularly in second quarter of 2020, barriers across the supply chain have disrupted the supply chain of BPA free cans market around the world. In addition, restrictions on cross-border trade and transportation are other factors that have negatively affected the overall operation across the BPA free cans market amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
While the demand from the food & beverages sector is likely to remain lower than initial projections, the pharmaceutical sector is likely to provide lucrative opportunities to market players operating in the BPA free cans market. Market players are projected to focus on product diversification and explore opportunities in various industrial sectors to mitigate losses due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
BPA Free Cans Market: Overview
- According to Transparency Market Research’s latest report on the global BPA free cans market for the forecast period of 2020-2026, the market is estimated to be driven by growing demand of fresh fruits and vegetables from health conscious consumers in the food industry. The global BPA free cans market is expected to expand at a CAGR of 4% during the forecast period.
- Many beverage packaging manufacturers prefer BPA free cans, for non-alcoholic and alcoholic beverages, owing to its non-toxic feature further lifting up the growth of BPA free cans market across the globe
Alternative Packaging and Coatings Solutions to Strengthen BPA Free Cans Market
- Food & beverages companies are actively looking for alternative solutions to BPA-based epoxy coatings. This is primarily driven by the escalating interest of consumers to avoid BPA containing food products.
- As a result, companies are bound to switch their packaging solution or offer BPA-free cans for their products, otherwise consumer transition will create a negative impact on their overall brand value and net sales of the company
- Some of the alternative coatings that could be used in place of epoxy coatings are polyester coatings and oleoresins. Polyester coatings can be used as an alternative to epoxy coatings or as an overlay on the epoxy coatings, which could reduce the leaching properties of BPA by almost 95 percent in food & beverages.
- The Sherwin-Williams Company, a leading American coatings manufacturer, has developed “valPur non-BPA epoxy coatings”, especially for food and beverage cans
Increase in Consumer Confidence to Streamline BPA free Cans Market
- It has been observed that consumer interest toward using BPA free cans products has increased substantially in the past few years due to widespread objections on the use of BPA in food contact packaging applications. Some of the countries have already banned exposure of BPA from baby bottles and other products.
- For instance, the U.S. FDA has revised its regulations to no longer offer for the use of BPA-based epoxy resins, as coatings in packaging for infant formula and BPA-based polycarbonate resins in baby bottles and sippy cups
- Increasing voluntary give up on BPA in food packaging application is also another major factor, which is creating the demand for BPA-free alternatives such as BPA free cans. This has led to the increase in consumer confidence to use BPA free cans and emerged as the major reason for food & beverages companies to switch to safer alternatives in order to retain and gain consumer belief in their products.
BPA Free Cans Market – Key Findings
- Globally, 250-500 ml cans are estimated to dominate the global BPA free cans market by end of 2026, with around 2/3rd of the market share, which can be mainly attributed to portion control and consciousness about sugar intake by consumers
- As per material type, BPA free cans made from steel remains are prominent in the global market. BPA free cans made from steel are mostly recognised due to its attributes such as tasteless and odour-free, good opacity and higher reflectivity for food packaging.
- Among product types, the 2-piece type of BPA free cans is anticipated to dominate the market during the forecast period. They can be tapered to make them nestable, resulting in reduced space during transit, which in turn reduces shipping costs.
- As per the TMR analysis, the food industry is the top end user of BPA free cans, and are expected to account for around 4/5th of the cumulative market share by 2026. Following this, the global market of BPA free cans for fresh fruits and vegetables is expected to gain significant market share during 2020-2026.
- In terms of market share, North America is the prominent region in the global BPA free cans market. Existing top food & beverages and pharmaceutical industries are key factors for the rapid growth of the BPA free cans market in the region.
BPA Free Cans Market – Competition Landscape
- TMR analysed that the global BPA free cans market shows consolidated landscape, owing to the presence of existing big players and very few new participants
- Key players operating in the BPA free cans market are
- Crown Holdings, Inc.
- Ardagh Group S.A.
- Ball Corporation
- Silgan Containers LLC
- CCL Industries Inc.
- CAN-PACK Group
- Toyo Seikan Co. Ltd.
- Kian Joo Group
- CPMC Holdings Limited
- HUBER Packaging Group GmbH
- The Valspar Corporation
- PPG Industries, Inc.
- DowDupont Inc.
- Kangnam Jevisco Co., Ltd.
- TMR distinguished these BPA free cans market players as per their segmental earnings into different tier slabs. Among these players, Crown Holdings, Inc., Ardagh Group S.A., and Ball Corporation have been identified as Tier 1 companies. Tier 2 players include Silgan Containers Llc, CAN-PACK Group, Toyo Seikan Co. Ltd., and CCL Industries Inc. Tier 3 players are Kian Joo Group, CPMC Holdings Limited, HUBER Packaging Group GmbH, The Valspar Corporation, and PPG Industries, Inc., among others.
COVID–19 to Fillip Demand for BPA Free Cans
- During the global pandemic, the packaged food sector is shining out, as people are opting for more packaged food products such as ready-to-eat food and canned food, which has shown positive impact on the global BPA free cans market
- This is mainly as there is limited manhandling of products inside packets. Also, once purchased, the packets could be easily sanitized at home. In addition, a large population is under lockdown and consuming home cooked meals, thus the demand for sauces, dressings, and condiments has witnessed a rise. All these factors are likely to boost the short-term demand for cans, particularly, BPA free cans in the coming two to three quarters.
- However, the global uncertainty of COVID–19 has also impacted the production of BPA free cans to some extent. This is mainly due to ongoing challenges such as not enough workforce, inventory loses, and supply chain disruptions.
Moreover, disturbance of product managing, delivery network, and changing global economic conditions are also impacting the demand and supply of BPA free cans. End-use industries are, thus, resorting to regional BPA free can suppliers to meet their requirements.
Read Our Latest Press Release:
Transparency Market Research is a next-generation market intelligence provider, offering fact-based solutions to business leaders, consultants, and strategy professionals.
Our reports are single-point solutions for businesses to grow, evolve, and mature. Our real-time data collection methods along with ability to track more than one million high growth niche products are aligned with your aims. The detailed and proprietary statistical models used by our analysts offer insights for making right decision in the shortest span of time. For organizations that require specific but comprehensive information we offer customized solutions through ad-hoc reports. These requests are delivered with the perfect combination of right sense of fact-oriented problem solving methodologies and leveraging existing data repositories.
Transparency Market Research State Tower,
90 State Street,
Albany NY – 12207
USA – Canada Toll Free: 866-552-3453
Email: [email protected]