High Demand for Improved Connectivity and Intelligence in Vehicles to Fuel Market Growth
The automotive sector is no stranger to innovations, and with the advent of novel technologies such as the Internet of Things (IoT), automotive manufacturers are in the pursuit of integrating IoT into vehicles during the manufacturing stage. Owing to noteworthy advancements in technology, a broad range of telematics services and devices has entered the automotive telematics market. Furthermore, telematics, which was once regarded as a niche feature, has gradually entered the automotive sector in recent times– a trend that is expected to continue in the near future. Despite a slow-paced adoption in the current scenario, automotive telematics is on course to gain significant momentum during the forecast period (2019-2027). Significant developments in connected car capabilities are paving the way for automotive telematics offered by third parties.
Some of the leading factors that are likely to accelerate the adoption of advanced telematics in the automotive industry include the willingness of government bodies across the world to mandate telematics services and rising consumer demand for improved connectivity in vehicles. Furthermore, automotive telematics offer improvements in road safety and driving behavior, and is likely to streamline insurance premiums in tune with usage-based insurance. Trends in the automotive telematics market also indicate that use of telematics in the automotive sector can open up new avenues for corporate businesses and individuals beyond matters of road safety and insurance. Due to these factors, the automotive telematics market is expected to reach a value of ~US$ 36 Bn by 2022 from ~US$ 7 Bn in 2019.
Request a sample to get extensive insights into the Automotive Telematics Market
Industry 4.0 Drives Adoption of Telematics Services in Automotive Industry
Industrial verticals across the world continue to evolve as the automation trend gains momentum. The global industrial sector is witnessing the dawn of the fourth industrial revolution, wherein factory automation and automation solutions, including telematics are set to gain notable traction. The onset of Industry 4.0 is expected to accelerate the adoption of telematics in the automotive sector. The adoption of telematics in the automotive sector is anticipated to increase at a rapid pace, owing to growing applications such as vehicle tracking, satellite navigation, fleet management, vehicle safety communication, etc.
Advancements in the automotive telematics market are heavily linked with the progress of the 5G technology. Swift and real-time data transmission across devices require advanced network with efficient data transmission. The advent of 5G technology is estimated to fuel the demand for autonomous technologies in the near future. Moreover, improvements in 5G will enhance coverage, speed, and reliability of automotive telematics– a factor that is expected to boost the growth of the automotive telematics market in the coming years.
Within the automotive telematics market, fleet management and vehicle tracking are expected to be key application areas. Both these segments are projected to account for ~65% share of the automotive telematics market in 2020.
To understand how our report can bring difference to your business strategy, Ask for a brochure
Benefits Offered by Telematics Technology in Fleet Safety to Propel Demand
Fleet management has attracted significant attention in recent years. The need to improve safety for cargo, personnel, and vehicles has driven the adoption of automotive telematics for fleet management. Automotive telematics has emerged as one of the most reliable and efficient services for fleet management such as emergency warning systems, GPS navigation, autonomous driving assistance, sensors, radars, etc. While some of the services focus on safety of the driver, these services, however, play a key role in improving fleet management. Stakeholders in the automotive telematics market are also engaged in the development of new automotive telematics solutions to gain an edge in the current market landscape. For instance, in January 2022, Geotab launched an integrated General Motors telematics solution. The newly launched solution is primarily developed to enable fleet managers to gain access to vehicular data and improve fleet management.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on “Automotive Telematics Market”
Automotive Telematics Market: Overview
- The automotive telematics market is anticipated to expand at a CAGR of ~17% between 2019 and 2027
- In terms of technology, the integrated segment holds a prominent share of the automotive telematics market, and it is likely to remain the prominent share of the market, owing to rising integration of telematics systems among all classes of vehicles
- Based on application, the vehicle tracking and fleet management segment held a prominent share of the automotive telematics market
- In terms of Vehicle, passenger vehicle has been the dominating segment due to higher production of passenger vehicles, along with rising integration of telematics system in the same. Moreover, rising concerns about safety and security, and high focus on adoption of digital technologies are driving the passenger vehicle segment of the automotive telematics market.
Drivers of Automotive Telematics Market
- Telematics services offer several features that ultimately turn out to be highly convenient for vehicle owners, such as remote control of vehicles, vehicle health diagnostic, over the air updates, connected navigation, and infotainment
- Presence of large population and high traffic congestion in several countries, such as the U.S., and the U.K., make recovery of a stolen vehicle highly difficult; however, the stolen vehicle tracking feature of the telematics system is expected to make the task of recovering the vehicle notably easier for governing authorities
- According to the World Health Organization, traffic injuries are the leading cause of death for children and young adults between the ages of 5 and 29. If medical assistance is provided right after the accident, chances of losing a life reduces notably. Furthermore, the eCall feature helps summon primary medical assistance at the accident location and hence, it is mandatory for all vehicles sold in Europe after April 2018.
- Cases of vehicle theft are significantly high in developed countries, among which leading countries with high rate of vehicle theft are Uruguay, Italy, France, Sweden, Greece, and the U.S.; however, the rate of vehicle theft has been decreasing continuously since 2005 in these countries. Furthermore, the telematics industry is likely to play a significant role in reducing the rate of vehicle theft in these countries.
- Electronic toll collection and congestion charge are key features offered by telematics service providers in some parts of Europe that face parking issues and traffic jams, owing to high rate of motorization, such as in the city of London. The electronic toll collection system automatically scans the number plate or QR code mounted on the vehicle and deducts the amount from the account of the vehicle owner, which leads to easier flow of traffic.
Challenges for Automotive Telematics Market
- Low awareness among consumers of developing nations, such as India, is a major restraint to the automotive telematics market, as lack of awareness about telematics technologies is likely to lead to low demand for the technology and services. Moreover, telematics services are popular among business owners and fleet owners. Thus, the fleet service segment holds a significant share of the automotive telematics market.
- Developing nations offer significant opportunities to the automotive telematics market, as most nations are adopting digital technologies in order to enhance the efficiency of vehicle fleets. Furthermore, most countries in Asia Pacific such as China and India are into the transitional stage of emission norms and have announced the adoption of Euro 6 equivalent emission norm soon, thus optimizing the driving habits, and regular diagnosis report of vehicle may contribute to reduction in carbon emission.
- The telematics service providers charge for providing regular service to vehicle owners and hence, people opting for entry level vehicles mostly do not use charged telematics services
Market Segmentation: Automotive Telematics Market
- The global automotive telematics market has been segmented based on technology, application, Vehicle, sales channel, and region
- Based on technology, the integrated segment is expected to hold a major share of the automotive telematics market, owing to high emphasis of the government on adoption of telematics system in Europe and North America. Most automakers of premium and mid segment vehicles have started integrating the automotive telematics system in their vehicles, thereby propelling the automotive telematics market. On the other hand, embedded devices are losing their importance over integrated technology, which in turn is boosting the integrated segment.
- In terms of application, vehicle tracking is anticipated to be a key segment of the automotive telematics market, as it is a basic feature in modern vehicles. Furthermore, the application of fleet management services is expanding across the globe, which in turn is driving the automotive telematics market. Moreover, expansion of ride sharing and car rental services has been a major factor boosting the automotive telematics market.
- Based on Vehicle, passenger vehicle is likely to be a key segment of the market, owing to high production of passenger vehicles and rate of adoption in order to enhance safety of occupants and other security measures. Application of telematics system in fleet management has been a key factor boosting the integration of the automotive telematics systems in commercial vehicles.
- Based on sales channel, OEM is estimated to be a prominent segment of the market, and it is anticipated to expand at a notable pace during the forecast period, as most manufacturers are focused on providing advanced assistance feature in their vehicles. Moreover, high rate of adoption of telematics services for fleet management among commercial vehicles in the past five years has propelled the aftermarket segment of the automotive telematics market.
Automotive Telematics Market: Regional Analysis
- In terms of region, Asia Pacific leads the global automotive telematics market. It is estimated to hold a leading share of the market during the forecast period. The automotive telematics market in the region is witnessing an expansion phase; however, the presence of a large number of vehicles and vehicle fleets can be attributed to the major share held by the region of the global market.
- On the other hand, Europe and North America are highly developed markets; however, the presence of smaller consumer base and low production of vehicles in both regions place them below Asia Pacific in terms of revenue generation.
Automotive Telematics Market: Competition Landscape
- Prominent players operating in the automotive telematics market include
- Agero Inc.
- Continental AG
- Delphi Technologies
- Denso Corporation
- HARMAN International
- Inseego Corp
- Intel Corporation
- LG Electronics
- Luxoft, Magneti Marelli S.p.A.
- Masternaut Limited
- NTT Docomo Inc.
- Panasonic Corporation
- Qualcomm Technologies, Inc.
- Robert Bosch GmbH
- TomTom International B.V.
- Trimble Inc.
- Vodafone Automotive SpA
Read Our Latest Press Release:
Transparency Market Research is a next-generation market intelligence provider, offering fact-based solutions to business leaders, consultants, and strategy professionals.
Our reports are single-point solutions for businesses to grow, evolve, and mature. Our real-time data collection methods along with ability to track more than one million high growth niche products are aligned with your aims. The detailed and proprietary statistical models used by our analysts offer insights for making right decision in the shortest span of time. For organizations that require specific but comprehensive information we offer customized solutions through ad-hoc reports. These requests are delivered with the perfect combination of right sense of fact-oriented problem solving methodologies and leveraging existing data repositories.
Transparency Market Research State Tower,
90 State Street,
Albany NY – 12207
USA – Canada Toll Free: 866-552-3453
Email: [email protected]