Leg Swelling: Best Ways to Solve a Problem
Many people face such a problem as swelling of the legs, especially those who spend the whole day on their feet. This problem can arise for various reasons. We will understand what provokes edema and how to deal with it.
Causes of leg swelling
The main causes of swelling of the feet, ankles, legs and even thighs are:
- Impaired blood circulation;
- Excessive physical activity;
- Prolonged wearing of uncomfortable shoes or high-heeled shoes;
- Abuse of salty foods or alcohol;
- Climatic conditions causing disturbance of fluid circulation in the body.
In women, swelling can occur with a menstrual cycle or pregnancy. But sometimes edema of the lower extremities indicates the presence of problems with internal organs, in particular, the heart, kidneys, thyroid gland. Also, puffiness provokes diseases – varicose veins, thrombophlebitis, diabetes mellitus, and cirrhosis.
If the limbs do not swell symmetrically, have tightness and do not go away even after rest – this is an occasion to consult a doctor. If puffiness is not a constant problem and at the moment there is no way to undergo a full examination, you can use folk remedies. Do you want to know about Swelling In Legs, Feet, and Ankles – Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment? Then keep reading this article till the end.
Folk remedies for relieving edema
The main cause of edema is malnutrition. Therefore, it is worth abandoning harmful fatty foods, as well as minimize the intake of carbohydrates and salt. Quickly remove swelling helps:
- Water with lemon juice
- A decoction of rose hips or caraway seeds
- Lingonberry collection
- Rowan juice of viburnum
- Fresh parsley or parsley tea (pour chopped parsley with 500 ml of boiling water, boil for 5 minutes, let it brew for 20 minutes and strain, it is better to use such tea three times a day)
- Artichoke (with lemon juice or steamed)
- Celery (raw or boiled)
- Chard (raw)
- Onion (add a little onion to salads)
Trays for edema
With medicinal herbs (mint, hypericum or chamomile)
Pour 4 tablespoons of grass with boiling water, insist for half an hour, mix the broth with 3 liters of water and keep your legs in it for at least 15 minutes.
With sea salt
It is enough to dissolve 3 tablespoons of salt and 1 tablespoon of soda in 3 liters of hot water and hold your feet in the solution for 20 minutes;
Mix 1 tablespoon of coniferous needles with 1 tablespoon of salt, pour 1 liter of boiling water and leave for half an hour, then strain and cool the liquid, add 1 tablespoon of vinegar and keep your feet in water for 15 minutes;
Pour a little water into the container, add a pinch of salt, 3 drops of peppermint essential oil, 1 drop of eucalyptus and lemon oil, and hold your feet in water for several minutes.
Effective healing compresses for leg swelling
From parsley, dill, and chamomile
Mix greens in equal proportions, pour boiling water, let it brew, soak a gauze dressing in broth and apply for several minutes to the problem area;
Attach the burdock to the edema site with the inside, fix with gauze and leave overnight;
From the leaves of cabbage
Mash a few leaves, attach to the site of the edema, secure with a gauze dressing and cling film, leave the compress for at least an hour, and preferably all night;
With lean or linseed oil
Moisten gauze with oil, wrap the problem area, fix with cellophane and a warm scarf, leave the compress overnight.
General recommendations for relieving puffiness:
- Wear comfortable shoes
- Move more
- Sleep in a position in which the legs are slightly above the head (you can use a special roll for the legs)
- Take a contrast shower or wipe problem areas with ice cubes
- Visit the bathhouse or sauna more often
- Do foot massage using massage oils
- Wear compression underwear
- Treat problem areas with special ointments or gels
Another effective remedy for edema is bathing with sea salt. It is enough to dissolve 300 g of salt in water, bathe in such water for at least half an hour, after which you should not drink any liquid for an hour. Such baths can be taken three times a week.
The Bottom Line
You can try all these proven methods to solve leg swelling problems at home.
Read Also: Abdominal swelling – When to worry?